Re: The Real Keith Moon

> The problem with buying boots is that you're taking royalties away from some
> artist (or artist's estate

I haven't yet developed enough guilt to stop my behavior. :-)

> Buying and selling bootlegs was small peanuts when it was vinyl, but now
> everybody can make and sell their own Pete Townshend cds.  I'm sort of
> attached to the studio produced recording, and I suspect rampant bootleg
> sales will eventually make that go away in favor of live performances and
> downloadable mp3s.

I don't think bootlegging is the huge loss of revenue some believe it to be.
It *seems* like a big deal to us on this list 'cause we're talking about it all the
time (my big mouth especially!).  But let's face it; we're not normal.  We're
fanatics & freaks.  We're only a small percentage of the music-buying public.

When I show a bootleg CD to say, my co-workers, it's like a foreign ob-
ject to them.  They're quite puzzled by it.  Some are even scared.  "Those
are illegal, ya know."  These people wouldn't touch a bootleg with a ten-
foot pole.  They've got no use for 'em.  They're happily satisfied with the
legit products that are released.  And it's *these* people who make up the
majority of the music buying public.

I see bootlegging (& buying the bootlegs) as an activity of a smallish "fringe"
sector of the music-buying public.

Napster & the like seems to be a different story.  "Regular" music fans (with
computers & necessary software, of course) don't seem inhibited downloading
music.  Is it because the middle man (the store clerk) is cut out?  I'm not sure.

Oddly enough, I've never been on Napster (I swear on my WHO collection).
For a collector like me who is interested in acquiring product, not files, it's
not very appealing.

- SCHRADE in Akron