Re: The Who on Broadway conjecture

>After I expressed distaste for PshchoD, keets:  "But Pete does these things
>so well!  :)  I love Psychoderelict."
>
>I do like the music.  Some of the songs are fantastic.  I respect how
>ballsy the idea is.  Its just that the plot and characters did nothing for
>me in my gut.

It's not the characters or what he says in the script that's so
entertaining--it's looking behind the words to see what he means.  He's
saying really cutting things about the music business, managers, critics,
and even himself.  I like the music and the levels of meaning, and what he
says about his own loss of ideals--another of lifes little transitions.

>If Pete needs these devices to come up with great songs, that's cool with
>me.  If he needs these devices to reach a larger audience, that's cool to.
>I would love to be in the crowd when PT or TED perform any music he writes,
>but I am not likely to be in the theater for the stage adaption.

I may not, either--dunno--but I love the cd.  There's also a video from his
tour.

>Hold on there pardner!  Mickey Mouse, Pinnochio and Woody (from Toy Story)
>are pure magic at my house.  We are making our annual pilgrimage to Orlando
>next week and I can't wait!  There is no  better way to get a child
>interested in the arts than via Disney Corp.  It aint rock and roll, but it
>IS magic.

I'm not a Disney fan.  It's kind of off-topic to go into any depth, but I
don't like the idea that it forces out more thoughtful Broadway shows.  I
don't think complete sugar coating is good for children, even.

BTW, do folks take their kids to the Broadway shows a lot?  Is that a big
proportion of the audience?

>They wouldn't fly with me.  Would they fly with a wider audience?  I dunno.

Quad has a pretty good storyline, and I was impressed with the staging by
the time TED had finished up the tour.  Plus, the story is based on a real
historical event, so I think maybe that one would be interesting to the
general public.  I can see that Pete might have to write some additional
material for the folks who don't understand the ending, though--same as how
they had to come up with a device in the movie.  TED managed to convey the
spiritual uplift at the end quite well, but I dunno that a Broadway cast
could do it.

Psychoderelict is definitely adult material and quite cynical.  It's going
to have a narrower audience than Quad, and will be hard to alter.

>I am pretty wide but I do not understand the tastes of the general public,
>especially the theater going public.  Mrs House dragged me to "Phantom of
>the Opera" a few years ago, thinking she couldn't miss.  It sucked.  At
>least she won't try that again:-)

Same here.  I think we're all a little off the taste of the general public.

keets