Subject: Q: Who started punk?

All of this mention of who started punk, et al, is really interesting.  I
enjoyed reading everyone's comments and opinions.  This has kind of merged
into a discussion of The Who, Rush, King Crimson, The Ramones, The Sex
Pistols, Yes, etc...  However, it's beginning to tangent off into a whole
bunch of offshoots.  I've heard somebody mention The Replacements in the
Punk Tangent (bravo to them), but I'm suprised that nobody mentioned Husker
Du.

If you want a "punk" band that most closely resembles The Who, for my money,
Husker Du is it.  Bob Mould is the only songwriter that I can think of
(IMHO) that can touch Pete in terms of content, structure and vision.
Granted, Mould doesn't do concept/rock operas (excepting the brilliant Zen
Arcade) but his songs are usually very personal and touching.  Also like
Pete, Mould plays "a monster guitar" as his former Husker bandmate Grant
Hart used to say.  Husker Du were a trio (like The Who - sorry Rog, but the
other three guys really put out the power) and unlike other punk bands who
used to simply yell and make noise performing live, the Huskers were a Wall
of Sound, like our boys.  Honestly, is there anything more revolting then
the Pistols version of Substitute?  I LOVE punk, but that crap is simply
awful noise.  Those of you who don't know about Husker Du - run, don't walk
to your record store and snatch up The Living End; Husker's final release
and only live album.  Excellent.  But anyway, I digress...

To OFFICIALLY END the Punk discussion.

Who started Punk?  The Who, of course.  I can't remember where I saw it
exactly, but I saw a clip of the Who doing My Gen, circa 1965, possibly at
the Marquee Club.  THAT was punk - no doubt about it.  Raw, loud, angry,
fast and aggressive; all of the main elements of punk.  And, this was in
'65.  Can anyone else tell me of a recording so early by any other band that
was so ballsy?  I didn't think so.  Were the Beatles doing that?  Nah.  The
Stones?  Nope.  The Kinks, close, but no.  Hendrix wasn't big yet, and there
really wasn't a band around (UK or US) who was doing what The Who were
doing.  Hence, the FIRST punk band.

Ever notice that most every other band that has followed (rock bands, NOT
progressive bands) follows the Who's method of presentation?  I mean, VERY
loud guitars, the drums as lead instrument, gutteral vocals, etc...  The Who
aren't only the creators of Punk, but the creators of Rock Music as we know
it today.  Works for me.  Peace...

Jim in Colo Springs

"Nobody windmills like I do.  A lot of fuckers try, but only I do.  I tear
flesh off of my fucking fingers."  PT