RE: Punk grew, it didn't start.

>From: Jeff House <jjthandmeh@juno.com>
>Subject: Q:  Who started punk?
>
>answer from Joey Ramone circa 1994 (I think):
>
>"Everyone thinks the British, but we did when we started in '74. When we
>played London in 1977, people like Johnny Rotten [of the Sex Pistols],
>the Clash, and the Damned all told us we were responsible"
>Jeff

No, *that's* not tooting ones own horn now is it?
This thread has now turned into something different.
Punk, like all music, is a progression.  Who was first???  For Joey Ramone
to say that is pretty silly.  The Who were pretty punk for their day.  And,
of course it was natural for another band (actually many) to come along and
push that envelope even farther.  What, did Joey Ramone wake up one day and
go...."DOH, what have we been thinking?????  We should play like this!!!!!!"
It's just one part of that constantly evolving animal we all call Rock.
Trying to figure out who was first, or who was "responsible" for Punk is
like trying to find the first drop of water in a river.  Punk is just an
extreme.  Really, we *could* call Elvis Punk and get away with it.

Kevin in VT