older rock bands

I read some article or other this week end about the future of The Who
depending on whether they could come to terms with being an older rock
band.  Somehow rock has been tagged as a young man's game.  This was
already a problem back in the seventies, of course, and the additional
twenty years hasn't helped a whole lot.

But then tonight I caught the tail end of a VH1 show that said the
Twentieth Century ended with the music scene pretty much in chaos.
Right now music is very individual, and nobody really knows what's
going to be successful.  That levels the field in many ways, and the
end result is that more bands can be heard on their own merits.

So does it really matter any more how old a musician is?  Of course the
mass produced artists/bands have to look young and fresh, but for
artists that make serious music that means something, does it really
matter any more whether they're rock, or punk or not quite a kid any
more?  I've been looking at the current pictures of Pete on his
website, and somehow he looks pretty contemporary.

LB