Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #350

ML wrote:
> Some people think there's little difference, but
only > if they give a surface listen and no
more...some
> think Rush provides depth and intelligence in their
> music, but the more intellectual music fans see The
> Who as the clear winner here. Rush is generally more

> well known and you hear their music on the radio
> more...but it's accepted The Who are easily the
> superior band. The Who inspires and Rush was
> inspired. The Who have contributed greatly to Rock
> music, and Rush has made a lot of money with Rock
> music. I guess it has to do with one's standards.

Hm... I think that comparing Rush and The Who is
really a matter of tastes. Yeah, the first Rush album
was just "inspired", but most of their 70's albums
inspired a large number of bands with its mixture of
hard rock and progressive music. For example: I just
can't imagine Dream Theater without the previous
existance of Rush.

Rush and Who have different styles, so I think we just
can't say "this one is better than the other". Even
when we think of individual instruments, it's hard to
settle things. Geddy Lee and John Entwistle? Both are
incredible bassists. Pete Townshend and Alex Lifeson?
It's just impossible to compare one with the other. If
we were comparing two shredders, say, Yngwie Malmsteen
and Michael Angelo, then we could talk bps or the
like, but how to compare Alex and Pete, musically?

Then comes Keith Moon and Neil Peart. These two
outstanding drummers have totally opposite styles, and
they master their own style. How can we say that one
is better than the other?

I just don't know... I remember a thread some time ago
comparing Led Zeppelin to The Who... Two different
bands, but much easier to compare... But comparing
Rush and The Who, to me, is a bit senseless...

Obs's: 1) I'm not a hardcore Rush fan, rush could be
replaced with any 70's prog rock band here.
2) I hate shredders.

Lucas Bleicher