Re: "Who Are You" Lost Verse

> This verse has been dropped because it's too specific to the origin of the
> song, and so makes it less universal.  Pete apparently played with this
idea
> for a while, but the final version was a response to an argument with the
> Sex Pistols, right?  So that's who he's talking to here--the punk
> rockers--and that Boardroom (?) is the name of the bar.

I think the boardroom refers to the "Tin Pan" location (probably London's
version, Denmark Street of the Kinks song) where he had just spent 11 hours
negotiating with Allan Klein for the final settlement of The Who's suit
against Lambert and Stamp.

The thrust of the lyric, as I see it is, "look out kids, I used to pose
before a mirror pretending I was a rock 'n' roll star just like you do and
look where I ended up; spending a day in a boardroom arguing about money.
But you can't hear me; you're too busy dreaming how great everything would
be if you were a rock star."

-Brian in Atlanta
 The Who This Month!
 Go to: http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm