Re: fat old Elton Disney

>Age is no excuse for The Who.

Heheh.

>Poor health, egos and apathy are their greatest hurdles now.

It's always been that way, hasn't it?

>re Elton:  I wasn't defending Elton for me so I take no offense.  I have
>never liked his music.  My daughther has been on a "Lion King" kick lately.
>I have to defend her taste :-)

Okay, I have to relent a little here.  Elton John writes good, solid  music,
and I gather Disney/Elton John/Tim Rice musicals have pretty much
revitalized musicals as a Broadway genre.  After all, many Broadway type
fans are such sticks-in-the-mud that they would never go see anything NEW.
;)

What was uncomfortable about my previous post was that it implied Elton John
has "sold out" by writing for Disney.  I don't know that this is necessarily
so.  Elton John has actually adapted very well to the current music scene,
and by writing for children he's ensuring that he'll have future fans.  I
have a lot of respect for the man.
And again, my point was that Pete doesn't have to go out on tour with The
Who.  He does have other options.

>This brings me back to a discussion we had a little while ago.  Will TED
>try to make their new music more accessible to the masses?  Would Pete like
>to receive the kind of attention and popularity that U2 is enjoying right
>now? If the answer is yes, he's got to simplify his lyrics, add more hooks,
>and smile more - IMHO.

I don't think Pete can quite do it.  Smiling a lot just isn't his thing. ;)

This is the reason The Who has never won a Grammy.  They sort of lurk around
and frown and say sarcastic things, and never quite become mainstream.
Pete's music and his style are too dissonant for many ears, and the lyrics
discuss adult issues.  That makes Pete pretty much an artist for thoughtful
grown-ups.  John seems to write well for younger ears, but again it's fairly
dark stuff.

I would like to see them all broaden their audience, though.  Like Elton
John, it wouldn't hurt for The Who to have a few shows playing on Broadway.
One thing I think ought to fly really well is Lifehouse--the original, not
the Y2K version.  It's full of optimism and idealism, and it would suit kids
(and their parents) very well.  I could also see a Vanpires spin-off or the
current TKAA idea doing well there.

Anybody else think so?

keets