Jurassic Punk

>Ther reports of Rick Derringer's death have been greatly exaggerated as
>well.  He is currently on tour.

Yes, Rick is very much alive; until a few years ago he lived here in MB.

>out over the loudness of john's bass and pete knew the who was done. The
who

Scott:

They announced, before it started, that it was the final tour (although they
planned to still make studio music).

>Another factor could have been alcohol and drug abuse.  Pete was clean in
>1982, not in 1979.

Neil:

I think it was all about Pete. Having heard a lot of shows from the `82
tour, it seems they were all a bit functional (as opposed to inspired) but I
do think the final Toronto show had a spark. Pete definitely wasn't into the
band. In 1979, while drunk most of the time I think at least he was into
what he was doing. I think he'd given in to the idea that The Who were to
crank along playing the hits and putting out the occaisional new material
(like The Stones and Pink Floyd still do today) but primarily just an oldies
show. He wasn't out to create any new innovative music. You better you
better you bet...
By 1982 Pete (and Roger, according to interviews given at the time) felt The
Who were dinosaurs. The audience for their career music was diminishing
(untrue) and it was time to get out before they did a Spinal Tap...playing
smaller venues every tour for less people until they were no more than an
industry joke. He had a better chance to remain viable as a solo artist, not
saddled with the outdated "Who sound" but free to do whatever he wanted.
I believe he felt that way throughout the `80's and it was only when bands
like Pearl Jam came out strong for The Who did he begin to believe there was
a reason to be out there with the band. Jurassic Punk. It probably helps
that he sees no other outlet for his music and feels time is running out.

"The new President of The United States is
    what I would call a cunt "
              Pete Townshend

               Cheers                 ML