Re: Amsterdam;

> As I understand it, the show recorded by the boy with the toy recorder
> was in 1965 while Mark, you are talking about the show recorded from the
> radio broadcast in 1969.

John:

Right...so what was recorded from the 1965 Amsterdam show?

> Well, speaking as  British lad who was in his early teens in that
> period, it's a lot more like reality was for us then than I suspect
> American Graffiti was for most Americans:-)

Yeah, I'm sure that's true. And one reason I applaude the movie.

> where I was living; for instance, the pie and mash cafe - nothing like
> it where I lived. The public baths; I'm not aware that there were any of
> these where I lived.

I couldn't help but wonder about those elements of the story. I can see the
cafe, but the idea of a public bath isn't something usual in US culture. The
bathhouses we have had, and I say it that way because it's mostly in the
past at this point, were at beaches or public pools. Mainly for people
making day trips to the shore. These days, people just stay in motels.

> Many houses didn't have proper bathrooms when I was 14 or 15 in the UK;

Well, this follows...but you must have had SOMETHING. A shower. A rather
large tin tub. A body-shaped squee-gee.

> London; I think that my schoolmates and I would have been shocked if
> we'd seen anything like the pill popping depicted in parts of the film.

I think that in the film, like most such works, elements are merged or
symbolic rather than literal. This is certainly true of American Graffitti,
which might be a summer's worth of stuff happening in one night.
But having said that, my favorite scenes are the ones which appear the most
literal...the party (extremely well directed), the Brighton dance club, the
courtroom.
I actually should have compared Quad to another film about early `60's
American youth, one that in my mind is a lot better and more representative
(if almost as comedic), called The Wanderers. It's got excellent acting and
directing (check out the classroom scene), and best of all shows the
"changing of the guard" from 4 Seasons-type culture to Bob Dylan.

> Tony Butler, isn't it?

Scott:

And the drummer, Mark Brzezicki.

> There are a few other subliminal references such as Jimmy's
> multiple reflections. When Jimmy is in the back shed, his
> face can be seen in four of the scooter's mirrors and another
> shot in a lavatory has his image doubled in the surrounding
> looking glass.

Stoo:

Yes, there are several visual references...the best two you mention. But I
meant in his onscreen behavior.

> Nonsense and poppycock.

If there are other such films, I have yet to see them.

> However, one could probably argue that a track with no
> overdubs is "live" (in the studio).

I guess that's how the BBC sees it, and if it gets the material released, I
guess I can too!

> "Jingle Bells" along the lines of "Hall Of The Mountain King"?
> What are you talkin' 'bout? Moon's drumming on "You Rang?" is
> fantastic.

I mean they are roughly-done instrumental tracks, unless you count John's
Lurch imitation.

BTW, looking at Lord Of The Rings as I do Quad, it's a damned fine movie.

  "The-these terrorist acts and, you know, the responses have
    got to end in order for us to get the framework-the
     groundwork-not framework, the groundwork to discuss a
         framework for peace, to lay the-all right."
                George "Boy Genius" Bush

               Cheers                 ML