Re: CFNY BOR

First, let me say that I was always a PT fanatic, from the very start (first
show: Forest Hills, 7/31/71). But, luckily, after seeing them many times on
the tour2k, from very close range, I started to admire RD more than ever,
especially when I realized how much Pete fucks with him behind his back. He's
always making faces, like what's he doing now, particularly when Roger is
playing harmonica. I suddenly, for the first time, saw a bit of jealousy
coming out of Pete. It seemed to me that Pete wants and needs all the
attention, almost all the time! And hates when someone is cheering Roger over
himself. Hard to believe, but I felt it many times. Still hard to believe and
unfortunate to be so talented and still in need of acceptance.

It's no wonder why that RD may look like he is taking a back seat to Pete
looking for his nod of approval from him, but Pete is constantly breaking his
balls, on stage, in full view. Imagine, the greatest band in the world and
Pete sneers at Roger like he's a piece of crap, sometimes. Then suddenly, he
has a change of heart and becomes gracious to him. Ying & Yang, the eternal
struggle of an extremely talented ego, battling with his spiritual side and
his demonic side. It certainly is a sight to behold, from a few feet in front
ot them. And this goes on all the time. How would it make you feel that you're
being put down like this. It's a tad embarrassing and shameful, imho.

Since I discovered "interactive Who", ( being up close, one gets to shout and
fuck with the band), a trick taught to me by the insiders who are at most of
the shows, in the first few rows. Being a quick study, I started shouting out
to them during the shows and surprisingly, they respond by answering back. I
found Roger the most gracious and Pete was sometimes a prick, as I found out
at the Tweeter when he yelled at me after Naked Eye/See Me Feel Me.

Out of the whole tour, it was the biggest surprise to hear these two gems
together as they rarely strayed from their set list. Roger screwed up the
lyrics to NE and after the 2 songs, Pete says to Rog something like, "I told
you it didn't work," but to me and I would venture, the entire audience, it
was great, warts & all. I couldn't believe it, that they just played these 2
songs. So, I scream out to Roger, "fuck him, it was great," and then I look
directly at Pete and yell, "it was great." So Roger says to Pete, "well he
liked it," referring to me and then Pete walks up to the mic and looks
directly at me and yells, "I don't need no fuckin' lecture from you in the
yellow shirt, I see you there waving to Roger," in a really mean voice.
Suddenly, as if Meher Baba pinched his ass, he steps back from the mic and a
smile of love appears on his face and he blows me a kiss. He's certainly
psychotic! But in a good kinda way, lol! When he yelled he actually scared me,
with me thinking, oh no PT's yelling at me. Then when he smiled and blew the
kiss I was thrilled and broke out laughing and blew the kiss back!!! Too much,
kinda like a roller coaster ride.

I had realized at the prior show in NJ, that if you want to get Pete's
attention, while you're playing your air guitar, he won't look at you
directly. But if you mimic Roger, singing into an air mic, while looking at
him, Pete will start watching you. Then if you pay too much attention to
Roger, he starts getting mad. A true screwball, lol, but genius has its
quirks. Artists are a strange lot.

Anyway, as each show passed, I truly started to realize that Roger has to put
up with this all the time and even though that's going on, he is a phenomenal
performer, with unmatched passion and power, and has such a unique voice, that
he is just as important to the Who as each other member. After all, he is the
greatest interpreter of Pete's music there is. Again, imho.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents (or maybe a nickel)

magik