Re: Mastering and slavery

From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
"It's a funny thing, I was listening to Clapton's CD Just One Night the
other evening and I noticed that Jon Astley engineered and mastered it.
Nothing wrong with the sound on that one."

and

"They could easily put out a multi disc set, or two."

Thanks for mentioning this, Mark.
I've been real bored with my CD collection lately.  Your post prompted me to
pull out Clapton's 'Crossroads 2' 4-disc box set, which I had not sampled in
a while.  Much of 'Just One Night' (featuring the mixing work of Jon Astley)
is in there.  I listened to disc 2 and received several chills.  Killer jams
in there.  'I Shot the Sheriff' is particularly hot.

Why can't The Who do something similar, you ask?  Because Pete Townshend has
some sort of large object in his digestive tract that prevents him from
giving it the go ahead.  This is the same problem that is keeping him from
writing music for The Who.  I don't get it.  He seemed completly comfortable
with cutting loose on stage last year.  We've not seem him that inspired in
years.  What the fuck is the difference between opening up his heart on
stage and opening up his heart on paper and in the studio?!?!

Now is the time for The Who to shit or get off the pot.  They have got to
produce some new music, or risk losing *me* as a fan.

CFNY proved that Zak is now completely integrated into the band.  The latest
JEB tour showed that John is capable of staying sober and can be animated
and energetic on stage at the same time.  The parts are there.  Where is the
leadership?!?!?

Strangely, I have no desire to see them at RAH.  Of course, if they pull out
some great new material I will have regrets.  I'm not even sure I would
attend another 'Greatest Hits' show in my hometown.

Move forward or give it up!

Grrrrrr,
Jeff