Re: instrumentals

> > Speaking of instrumental pieces, WHTQ just played
>"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"--all 17:05 gorgeous minutes of it.
>
>Which includes singing, silly.  Instrumental?

Okay, maybe a minute and a half of vocals out of 17:05.  It's pretty much an
instrumental masterpiece.

>Is somebody playing rhythm for him, or did he do the whole thing by
>himself?
>
>As a guess I'd say he did the whole thing himself - keeping a general
>rhythm with the bass drum & hi-hat & layering the tom-tom stuff over top.
>It can be done without overdubs or a second person.

I guess they had been working it out in live concerts, but it's still
amazing that they seem to have done it in one take.  There's no place to
stop in there. <whew>

What they played on the radio seemed pretty hissy, and I thought I heard
something underneath the drums.  I'll have to dig out the album and listen
to it more carefully.

keets