Re: More lyrical sparring

> For just that reason, the lyrics were easy and the music was hard.  Because
> it was hard for him, Pete had to put the music first.  Tell me what TOMMY is
> about.

I could do it but it'd take way too long.  I think we're *all* familiar with the synopsis.

> Who really is the Pinball Wizard?

Well Tommy *became* the pinball wizard after defeating the local champ, right?

> > > Didn't "Pinball Wizard" take all of five minutes to write?
> >
> >Perhaps the song structure, but I doubt the music *and* the lyrics were
> >finished in five minutes.
>
> I'd say the music took longer than the lyrics,

Well, here I can prove you wrong.  The lyrics were still being finalized up to the
recording.  Pete's demo has:  "Even on my *usual* table....." where the final version
has:  "Even on my *favorite* table....."  Slight change, I know, but evidence still
that tinkering & *care* were going into the lyrics.

> For example, there's a noticible difference in polish and complexity between
> "A Quick One" at Monterey and at the Rock and Roll Circus.

I agree but that's due to *practice* not any thought-out reconstruction of the song.

> We also got to
> hear "Crossroads Now" develop last summer.

Yes, it solidified as the tour went on.

> That was actually a wonderful experience, BTW, to hear it form up out of
> nothingness.

Slight as it was, you're right, it was nice to see.  A little morsel of creativity.

> We're getting back to the nature of genius here.  When you're a genius, it's
> there for you.  What other people have to slave and strain to achieve falls
> out of your head like rays of sunshine.

I disagree here.  Many "geniuses" in all fields go through periods of great
difficulty where they find it hard to create.  Sure they sometimes have flashes
of brilliance where creation comes easy, but that's not always the case.

> >Yet you say the early lyrics are "spontaneous" & not as deep as the later
> >lyrics. Maybe it's the other way around!
>
> Yes, it's the other way around.  The spontaneous lyrics are deeper, and the
> considered lyrics are shallow.  They use symbols less and words more.

I was thinking more along the lines of the earlier lyrics having more thought
put into them & the later lyrics being rushed.

- SCHRADE in Akron