RE: Who Needs This?

>Let's look at Turner's review of IT'S HARD to find what the review says
>about Turner as much as IT'S HARD.

Interesting to look at it from a historical perspective, too.  The man was
totally unable to pick out the hits.  "Athena" and "Eminence Front" have
lasted twenty years and counting on the radio.

I do think some of his comments were justified, especially the ones that
Pete had spend a long time thinking about (i.e. overworking) some of these
songs.  I think the same thing about most of the FACE DANCES material.  What
he's missing, though, is the brilliant quality of most of Pete's material.
Many of these lyrics are only average, about average material and any
songwriter could have written them.

I'd be tempted to say that Pete was having some difficulty in using that
gift of spontaneous brilliance, but there's plenty of evidence that it was
working (and still does).  Maybe he was, as he complained about sitting down
with a brandy and still having a sheet of empty paper an hour later.

Maybe it had stopped working any time he called on it, and he felt he had to
write something anyway.  Or maybe he felt (as this guy said) that he needed
to find a more mature approach to songwriting.  Whatever, his lyrics changed
markedly about that time, and it seemed Pete was even unable to take
advantage of inspiration even when it did hit.  Sometimes I wonder how
"Eminence Front" slipped though.  ;)

keets