Re: More lyrical sparring

>One of the requirement of the genre is that art be spontaneous, and that's
>where Pete does his best work.
>
>I can't imagine WHAT you're talking about. Pete's best work is his
>considered, concept material. Please cite some examples of Pete being at
>his best as a spontaneous writer.

I'm offering the theory that the lyrics to "Baba O'Riley" are spontaneous
and the lyrics to "I've Known No War" are considered.

Remember that Pete was/is famous for nebulous, crazy ideas that take a
little management to pull into a coherent rock opera.  Kit Lambert is said
to have organized TOMMY, and supposedly it was his desertion that scuttled
LIFEHOUSE.  I think Pete approached the early songs the same way.  Didn't
"Pinball Wizard" take all of five minutes to write?  I don't think he
considered any of that stuff.  It's pure talent.

> > To further bolster your arguments about Pete's lyrical weaknesses, I
>offer the following:  Horse's Neck.  This book blows IMHO.

>I'm not a great fan of HN either, but I don't see ANY weakness in Pete's
>lyrics.

I'm not saying any of them are really bad.  Only that some are average.  You
don't really think all of them are on the level of "Baba O'Riley" and "Won't
Get Fooled Again" do you?

>Please cite examples of this. Even in It's Hard and FD, there are
>plenty of clever turns of phrase.

Cleverness can often be only a shallow, surface trick.  It takes depth to
produce something that resonates and feels right to an audience.

keets