Re: Has Pete lost it?

>> All of those great Who songs over the years didn't just
> > > happen, they were *written*. Pete sitting on his couch with an
> > > acoustic guitar or in his home studio. Songs like "WGFA" and
> > > "BO'R" didn't just happen, they were developed over time.

Do you think "Baba O'Riley" is a carefully constructed song?  Did Pete
spend several weeks developing the concept and the lyrics?  Has he
carefully chosen each word for meaning or or weight or color?

> > I gather that when everybody talks about Pete having "writer's
> block" they're talking about lyrics.  For some reason Pete can't come
up with decent lyrics for a Who song compared to those old ones that
were so great, right?

>  *Wrong*. Lyrics alone don't make a great song. In fact, it really
> doesn't matter how great a set of lyrics are if they don't have a
great melody to carry them.

Oh, so the lyrics aren't really important here?  Okay, so Pete's having
a "writer's block" problem with the music, too?  Is that what you think
took several weeks in the case of "Baba O'Riley"?

>You seem so obsessed with the live jams from the 2000 tour,
proclaiming them to be brilliant new songs, do you even realize how
musically *basic* they are?

Do you think the Manchester "Crossroads Now" jam is musically basic?

> They are the point in the show when the band amuse themselves by
practicing scales

Scales?  <cough>  Well okay, I heard The Ox do one last summer.

>  Oh shit, now you're bashing "BO'R"?! Well for starters, it *ain't*
> just the damn lyrics that make this song great!

>  A hell of a lot of Pete's songs are open to interpretation. What do
> the lyrics to "Pure And Easy" mean? I sure as hell don't know, but
> it's still a fantastic song! And in a lot of instances the lyrics
> don't have to come out and say something point blank in black and
> white. The very way that the words flow is like an oral painting.
> It may be abstract, but it's still colorful and beautiful. That sums
> up "Pure And Easy's" lyrics to me in a nut shell.

So Pete writes abstract, colorful and beautiful lyrics without much
meaning?  You think the songs are fantastic but you don't understand
them?

>  You really do come off as being dumb as a door post.
> I used to think you did it intentionally, just to get a rise
> out of people. Now I just think that you don't have two
> clues to rub together. And I suppose you'll be scratching
> your head now trying to figure out what *that* means!

You were the one that said "Baba O'Riley" was such a great song.  Do
you mean just the music is great and not the lyrics?  Why can't Pete do
that now?

LB

=====
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/