No Subject

Drama for VH1's Generation
The Who's Roger Daltrey explains why he took on host duties for (and even
acted in) the network's first horror series.
By EMANUELLE SOICHET, Times Staff Writer

     As the lead vocalist in era-defining anthems such as "My Generation,"
Roger Daltrey for many Americans remains the force behind the rock band the
Who.
     But since his movie debut in the 1975 film version of the rock opera
"Tommy" and subsequent gigs in theater and television, the musician has been
trying to recast himself as an actor as well.
     He has appeared on American television in roles ranging from an
outrageous rock star going through rehab in Showtime's comedy "Rude
Awakenings" to Boric, king of the fairies, in the 1999 NBC miniseries "The
Magical Legend of the Leprechauns."
     Now Daltrey is set to host the first scripted VH1 original drama
series, "Strange Frequency," an anthology of music-related horror stories
that premieres Saturday at 10 p.m. He stars in the show's premiere as a
talent agent with mysterious powers.

      *
     Question: Scary series have been tried before "Strange Frequency." What
makes this one unique and a good fit for VH1, which has not done drama
before?
     Answer: The musical roots and that they are very well-researched. I
think it's the perfect formula for VH1 and also networks. I don't know why
networks can't put this type of thing on, knowing the demography of rock 'n'
roll, which is enormous. It seems like it would be a good half-an-hour slot
on the terrestrial somewhere, because there is no nudity or profanity in it,
no reason why it wouldn't be, they are just dark. I think in the genre, the
musical pedigree of the show gives it a different edge.

* * *
     Q: What about the show intrigued you enough to take on the hosting spot
as well as act in the premiere?
     A: I like acting, it's as simple as that. It first started as a job,
just another acting job, and then they asked me to be the host. I saw last
year's [special on which the series is based] and I thought it was well
done. I was offered to do one of the episodes and I jumped at the chance.
When they came back to me and asked me to host, it was a pleasure.

* * *
     Q: As a rock singer, how realistic do you think are these glimpses into
rockers' lives?
     A: Oh, it's a completely fictional world. From what I have seen of them
shooting my episode for instance, with the crowd scene it really did feel
like a rock 'n' roll concert. And that's hard to do. It's hard to shoot a
fictional guy playing a guitar and shooting the crowd reacting in actually
the way it happens at a rock concert. I think we were pretty close, in fact
really close to it on this. I haven't seen the finished edit of the piece
yet, but watching it live at the time they were getting real audience
reaction, which is great, because usually you watch the audience on these
kinds of shows and they are like a bunch of stand-ins.

* * *
     Q: What is your take on VH1 programming in general? It seems to have
established itself as a more mature, informative channel?
     A: They do some really good musical programs, I mean "Behind the Music"
is a really good program. If they were to spend a little more money on their
films, they could be stronger there and could make a better product. The
problem is rock 'n' roll is a gritty, hard subject--to get it right in film
product you've got to be willing to take a lot of chances and make it dirty
and down home. They haven't quite gotten that far yet, and I think they need
to. I think it will take some good writers, I mean of every rock 'n' roll
film I have ever seen--if rock 'n' roll had ever been that boring, it would
have been around for five minutes.

* * *
     Q: What was the impetus for your crossover to acting? Was it a natural
jump?
     A: It wasn't a natural jump, it was a very difficult one because the
first thing I did was "Tommy," which was completely easy for me because it
was singing and music and I felt completely comfortable. And then when it
came to actually knowing what acting is really about and delivering dialogue
and developing character, I didn't know [what I was doing]. People think
it's a natural progression, but it's not. Because rock 'n' roll demands such
big images and such strong character image, but actors--unless you are a
performer actor, which I don't think I am, I am more of a character
actor--it demands that you haven't got an image at all, really.

* * *
     Q: Being a character actor, though, your roles have really varied
genres--you have gone from "Tommy," to some comedy on "Rude Awakenings," and
"Leprechauns." Have you figured out what genre you like best to act in?
     A: I love comedy. I love drama. I do like it all, because it's all for
the challenge. I like playing bad guys because they are usually more
interesting to play than good guys and they are usually better written.

* * *
     Q: Do you get to play a bad guy in "Strange Frequency"?
     A: I think I play a very good guy, a manager who delivers the goods. It
was kind of fun, being on the other side and playing a manager, to poke fun
at all the sorts of things that happen. I wasn't making fun of my past
managers, but there are certain things they get up to that came to mind.

* * *
     Q: Are you working on anything else in the near future?
     A: Well I just work until the next audition and that's how I like it.

* * *
     "Strange Frequency" can be seen on VH1 Saturdays at 10 p.m. The network
has rated it TV-14-D-L (may be unsuitable for children younger than 14, with
special advisories for suggestive dialogue and coarse language).
Copyright 2001 Los Angeles Times

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm