rock and sex, rock and sex, rock and sex

As you might notice, I've been watching VH1 again. ;)

They've got a series called "Below The Waist" and tonight they ran a couple
of episodes.  The more interesting one was about sexual attitudes expressed
by rock music.  I tuned in late, so may have missed an appearance by The
Who, but while I was watching, it didn't happen.  However, they did a large
part of it on the eighties macho androgenous hair bands, and there,
sandwiched in between all this testosterone, was a demure shot of Pete circa
1982.

They finished up with older front men carrying the torch, and focused on
Steven Tyler as their poster boy.  I gather this would be because of
Aerosmith's recent album release and the opportunity to show clips from
their video.  Do you suppose TED could lie these days and  pretend to be
younger than Steven?  ;)

As a balance to all that sensationalism, I stumbled on a very scholarly
article today, discussing this same subject.  Reading it, I begin to suspect
it's the tip of a very large iceberg of academic discussion regarding the
socio-sexual implications of rock music. <yawn>  For anyone with the
fortitude to work through it, I think they've gone a little Freudian here,
but they're right that men and women bring different attitudes to popular
and/or rock music.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m2298/3_17/62052926/p1/article.jhtml?term=roger+daltrey

keets