RE: I...Love...MY...Direc....T...V!

Kevin in VT says:
>Shame, shame on whom ever it was that said The Who RAH was playing all
>throughout the month of August.  It's not!!  ONLY on August 4th!  I
>almost
>missed it!

Thats strange, because I saw the last half of it at 2-3 AM this morning
(Monday the 6th)while channel surfing on my "friend's" direct TV, which
happens to be "comprimised."

So perhaps it will run again.

Rich (legalize@xmission.com) in UT says:

>LOL!  That was funny Kevin.  My friend who has DTV and tapes it for me
>sent me this message, which I didn't find nearly as humorous:
>
>     Got your senior citizens on tape.  Daltry came out in a wheelchair
>     and Townsend lost his teeth during "Pinball Wizard."  Nevertheless,
>     how do you want me to record it?  It is 3.5 hours, and I can put it
>     on one tape if I use the LP.  However, I don't know how anal you
>     are about quality, and can put it on two tapes at SP if you so
>     desire.
>
>He thinks anything that wasn't recorded this year is "old geezers".  I
>don't know what the fuck he listens to, must be some quazi techno crap.
>At least that's what he always programs for the hold music at XMission
>(yes, my friend owns and runs my ISP).  Its a step above for "on hold"
>music, but not anythign I'd actually buy.

I say:

In defense of the old geezers, I'd have to say, from what I saw, performed
with 10x the energy of their younger guests. With the risk of irritating a
few pearl jam, oasis, & bryan adams fans (if there are any B. Adams fans on
this list) I wasn't very impressed with most of the guest spots.
(Disclaimer: I'm going to rant a bit, so don't feel like you have to read
this)

Paul Weller and Pete doing "So sad about us" was great. Paul Weller sang and
played great next to PT.

I wasn't too happy with Eddie Vedder's treatment of I'm One. IMO, he went
waaayyy overboard with his signature vibrato. But then, i'm not really a
pearl jam fan so perhaps others will see it differently. However, in EV's
defense (Rebuking my own criticism) the vocal duet on Let's See Action with
Roger totally rocked!

Bryan Adams (is this the same guy that sang "Everything I do, I do it for
you" (ugh) or am I thinking of a different guy?) singing BBE was below
par...He was off key on the long ending note before the rocking part of the
song "my love is vengeance, thats never freeeeee(off key)eee"

Lastly, I thought Noel Gallanger's lead playing on WGFA was just fucking
awful. It was some of the most uninspired, boring, cliched, lead work I
could imagine. It was pathetic. I feel confident that I could have done a
better job if I was blind drunk. Or any other guitar player that has spent
any time learning who songs. Of course, no one asked me, (not that they
would have any reason to) and I wouldn't have anyway, cause its just better
to leave it up to the man himself.

That said, I reallly liked how well the extra verse of "My Generation"
worked. On the "if you want it, come and take it" part, roger (who was
singing fucking fantastic the whole time) had a huge smiling/sneer type look
on his face, if you can imagine, that almost seemed to mock the younger
performers. It was like he was laughing at them.

Anyway, thats my rant.

Nick in UT.