Re: labels

"In your opinion, if the who released an album through eelpie.com or
something like that, it would not be in stores. Wouldn't they want to
release it through a big label and try to maximize the publicity and
availability of the album to the public?? If they released the album through
the Internet, that
would minimize the publicity and availability of the album to the public
wouldn't it?"

Didn't Pearl Jam have decent success with releasing their 'legit boots' via
the net?  Radiohead has made their entire new album available for download.
Dave Matthews and Prince both released new singles via Napster.  This kind
of unconventional business model is what I would expect from The Who.

I think it depends on the nature, quantity and quality of the new material
they come up with.  We've got to think outside of the standard format.  The
Who are definitely thinking outside of that.

The big label is a double edged sword.  As you point out, they will have
many demands that will have to be fulfilled for them to invest the kind of
cash needed for a standard release.  I don't think The Who (especially Pete)
are going to be willing to sign any such contract.

Jeff