Re: Water

Scott, re::

> I can live without "Water" (!).  The song itself is a bit awkward &
> the lyrics do nothing for me except conjure up images of a beer
> commercial.

Or maybe it's just Pete jonesing for the LSD-laced beverages at Woodstock.
Actually, what I find remarkable about the lyrics is that Daltrey can take a
ridiculous image like "my grass skirt's lost its green" and make it sound
like an apocalyptic warning.

> I will say this, though:  There's some blistering jamming during the
> solo parts of that Tanglewood 1970 version.  *That* I enjoy.  Those
> moments when they tap into some primal energy & the band suddenly
> transforms into a relentless, cacophonous force of blazing energy &
> noise.

I've had a soft spot for this awkward little ditty ever since it first
appeared as a throwaway b-side, umpteen years ago.  What I really find
amazing is that we now have three officially released live versions of the
song.  Sonny boy, I never thought I'd live to see the day...

Mick