Re: Pete's Snippets

> The Quad thing really is a "Snippet", but I have
> just always recognized it as pete, don't know why it was edited into the
> song, tho I know they can edit bits in like that.....Does anyone else think I
> may be correct on this, is it too much minutia?             Jeff

Nah, I love talking about this stuff.  You're theory is interesting & if it turned
out to be true, I wouldn't be surprised.  Maybe they needed to add something
at that point (between "The Real Me" & "Quadrophenia") to smooth the transition,
so to speak.  But you're right; that could be Pete.  Will we ever know?

As far as "discerning the drummer" goes, I've no trouble with Moon & Jones,
but the TOMMY soundtrack does give me trouble, mainly because I don't list-
en to it as often as I should.  Pete's solo albums give me trouble, too.  He juggles
drummers often.  I've spent many a minute trying to match up the little glasses
& goblets on the EMPTY GLASS album in order to figure out who's playing on
which track.  Sadly, I haven't memorized it.

In a similar light, I sometimes have doubts about studio WHO stuff as to whether
Pete plays a solo or OX plays it.  Now before anyone freaks out & thinks I'm lame,
99% of the time I think I know what's what; however there *are* a few songs......

The only example I can think of at the moment is "Success Story."  I once thought
to myself, "Hmmm...this solo sounds like The OX.  Is OX playing the guitar solo?
Is that a 6-string guitar?  Or a trebly, distorted bass?"  In case anyone wants to
listen for themselves, it's the solo right after the line "Take 276, you know this used
to be fun."  It ends with a held, stuck note which eventually slides down the neck.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's The OX.

- SCHRADE in Akron