Quadrophenia film

To continue from a letter I wrote a while back about my friend Fred, who i
have coverted to a full fledged who fan and who himself has coverted his
sister and others into who fans, i now must say a few things about our
experience watching Quadrophenia for the first time.
I got a copy off of ebay that was in great shape, but i was skeptical about
how good the film would actually be since musicians have been notoriously
bad filmmakers (with a few exceptions), and the only clip i had seen from
the film was the 5:15 video from the WBWB video.
Needless to say that we were both very,very impressed.  Being a filmmaker
myself I can say that this was not an amateurish production done for self
promotion.  It has an almost docu-drama feel at times but that is not a
criticism.  I was amazed at the restraint the director had when shooting,as
well as the taut editing which all helped to make the film's pace constant
and very entertaining.  Everything they got wrong in the TOMMY MoVIE,
they got right on this production.  None of the actors seemed the least bit
unreal Even Sting who was kept curiously quiet throughout the movie seemed a
perfect choice for The Face.

(I could have done without the washroom scene in the beginning though thats
a bit more male nudity than we were expecting)

Now for comparisons,  I couldnt help but see some startling resemblences
between Quadrophenia and American Beauty.  Slight resemblances only. The
running theme of how life has lost its luster and spark and the narrative
male viewpoint. Both films are extremely honest and provacative and i think
would have relativly the same target audience.
I wonder if Alan Ball and Sam Mendes had any inspiration from The Who's
music when making American Beauty.  That acknowledgment to Pete in the
credits makes me think there was a profound influence.
Just some conjecture and observation on my part,

(only 5 more days till atlanta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
drew