A double dog dare; Sweaters on snotty girls; A coffee clutch; No Effin' messiah

>One of the reasons I lost interest. Punk lost it's purpose.

Kevin:

It's hard to be against society when things are going so well. Blame the
Clinton prosperity for the lack of rebellion. I can buy that...why do you
think most comedians are hoping Duh-Bya wins...but I personally enjoy the
humor (and the prosperity), because it's my sort of humor (and so on). Get a
copy of Show And Tell and then tell me you didn't enjoy it. I dares ya! I
double dog dares ya!

>If the rebellion was about a different topic/issue, and by a different
>population, then it's new.

Nothing new about it! Rock has always been about teen angst. Quadrophenia is
a veritable primer on it.

>snotty girls into flannel!

Flannel is not my favorite look for snotty girls. V-neck sweaters are nice.

>Haven't we been here?? ;)

I know I have. I know every rut on this road by now.

>I liked your thought that New wave was geared toward the keyboards.
>Interesting that Pete also is into keyboards.  One of the unique aspects of
>The Who.

Yes, starting with WN he went lighter on guitar and heavier on keyboards
progressively from album to album. That's what's wrong with FD; where's the
blinkin' guitar???

>If not pop, then what?    A sub-genre of rock maybe?

It has to be. Because it had an edge and a rebelliousness, which is one key
element of Rock. Nothing edgy about Michael Jackson..."I'm not like the
other boys." No SHIT! Tell us something we didn't know.

>What, is it the coffee connection????? ;-)

Maybe a coffee clutch.

What is a coffee clutch, anyway? Hands up who knows.

>I thought that was Pete.

Keets:

Only the true messiah would deny he's the messiah.

>:-}  It wouldn't do to call them pop or rock.  Mark?

Jeff:

I'm not the messiah. Just thought I should mention that.

I've heard of Splitsville and of course the Smithereens are hardly Punk or
New Wave. More like The Beatles, really. Ditto with Cheap Trick. And after
all, with the exception of TKAA and So Sad, what's more Beatles-like by The
Who than Sell Out? So it might work well.

>BTW, what do they call what people are playing these days if it's not pop?

I'm SO tempted to say "Shit" but I won't. The last band I got excited about
was Pearl Jam, so...I guess I'm just getting old or something. I mean, I put
on the Black Crowes/Page CD today on the way home and the first song
(Celebration Day) is just PATHETIC. Robinson can't sing it and Page blows
the lead right up front! This followed by one of Zep's worst, Custard
Pie...and by now I'm thinking WHY did they do this album??? It's `orrible!
And the latest Santana...what do people see in this album? Haven't they
heard Caravanserai? I guess not! And THIS shite is what passes for great
music these days? Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Kittie? No WONDER I'm a Who fan!
Uh...can anyone tell I just watched High Fidelity? And even in that he blows
it by saying one of his top five is Summertime Blues...the Blue Cheer
version. Feh!

"(My favorite song is) `Wake Up Little Susie' by Buddy Holly."
       George W Bush, boy genius, Presidential candidate 2000

        Cheers                 ML