RE: What the F is New Wave anyway??

>>> Pete's music (solo or with The Who) and NewWave. It's Roger's voice that
>>> clouds the issue.  Definitely a RnR voice.
>>I can definitely link Punk to it, via AAA and even I've Had Enough, but I
>>don't know about New Wave. The Dirty Jobs, maybe?
>>                   Cheers                  ML

>I'll have to get back <RATS> to you with a list of songs.

Ok, I did a marathon listen last night of the last 3 Who albums (WAY, FD,
IH).  Now, before I write my thoughts on this, I want to emphasize that this
is all subjective. This isn't meant to start a grand debate.  If it does,
fine.  But, I won't be broken hearted if the reply is simply "Hmmm,
interesting take" (I can already hear ML typing this ;-). I mean, it gets
into very fuzzy lines of what is RnR, and what is NewWave.  Are they
different?  What really *is* RnR?
Is NewWave just RnR with a bit less energy and anger of the mid-80's?  You
tell me.

After listening to the "final 3", my first thought was..."Jeeeez, these guys
kick some f'n ass.  And these aren't even the most liked Who albums out
there".  Not a new thought at all, but always fun to feel that again.
The next thing that strikes me is the stark contrast between Johns stuff and
Pete's. *This* is where my thinking lies.
John's songs fit more closely the "classic" definition of RnR.  Pete's, in
contrast, then doesn't.
Now, listening to WAY, I hear the "transition" building.  Hell, he even says
so.
I can't say I feel anything in this album really that could be considered
New Wave, but it definitely is leaving the RnR genre, or at least starting
to stretch it's boarders.  That is until the heaven shaking last track.
FD on the other hand definitely gives me ammunition, particularly "How Can
You Do It Alone", and "Daily Records".  But really so do "Don't Let Go the
Coat", and "Cache Cache".
It's difficult to hear because of Rog's voice.  If you sit back and imagine
a younger singer with a more distinct English accent, it starts to change.
Ironically enough, IH begins to turn back to the more "classic" RnR.  More
energetic, harder, more anger/emotion.  I say ironically, because at this
time Pete looks and acts the New Wave part.
With all that said, I've also come to admit that my thinking has been very
influenced by Pete's dress (dress in general, not the girly type ;), hair
style, way of dancing, etc.
For evidence of this, just look at the cover of IH, or check out any 1981 or
82 footage.  Pete is all about New Wave.  His dancing is classic New Wave!
Ok, the question begs to be asked......Who Came First??  Was it Pete
following a new genre, or Pete creating a new genre???
Was Pete's hair style and dress and dance something that he developed on his
own without outside influence (I do see some of this dance style in footage
as early as IOW), or was he looking for a new direction and looked right at
the new/younger generation for inspiration?  I don't know.
What I do know is that I read in one of the published books (BBY, or Max
R&B..can't remember) that Pete was "worshiped" by the New Wave bands in the
early 80's.  This too has influenced my thinking.

But it all comes down to the *fact* that Pete was driving the band in a new
direction that you couldn't really classify as RnR.  While the rest of the
band were maintaining their "rock" status, albeit refined and mature, Pete
was diving into something different.
Classify it as "something different", or as "New Wave-ish".  The choice is
yours for the making.

Kevin in VT.