Re: Pete vs. Page = Tom Seaver vs. Nolan Ryan

> Ya know, I've been sitting back watching this thread for a while now, and
> I just must respond to this post.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE The Who and
> esp Pete, but let's get real.  Jimmy Page is a WAY better guitarist.  Show
> me one song where Pete belts it out better than Jimmy!  Let's not be
> disillusioned, next I'll be hearing "Townshend is better than Hendrix!".

Justin:

I agree with you when you compare the peak of the artist's career.  Page
and his career are a far cry from the peak.  Pete on the other hand is
not far from his peak.  It is like pitchers in baseball.

Jimmy Page may be considered a Tom Seaver, or a Oral Hershiser.
These folks had outstanding segments in a better-than-most carrier.

Jimmy Hendrix could be considered a Bob Gibson or Fernando Valensuala.
They all took the game by surprise and to a different level while they
were on top.

Pete Townshend is the Nolan Ryan or the Greg Maddux.  While some would argue
this, I do not believe that Pete, Nolan or Greg have had many bad outtings
over their entire careers.   Like Nolan and Greg, Pete was able to evolve
from electric (fast ball, screwball) to acoustic (change-up, slider, etc.).
Like we are all seeing on this tour, he is still able to throw fast balls
for a good part of the game, and hit the sweet spot more often than not.

All three have different styles, even though both Jimmys ripped off Pete
on several techniques and gear setups.

Using this logic, I guess that Eddy Van Halen is Roger Clemens,
Eric Clapton is Walter Johnson, and Chuck Berry is Cy Young.

I also admire Pete for playing hurt (impaled by tremolo), and Roger
for having his eye poked out by a Gary "I'll watch your kids" Glitter.
These guys simply do their job!   Moon may have been passed out or dead,
and the Who played on.

Joe

Joe Lewinski
ICANON Associates, Inc.
Phone: 610-313-1850 x 115
Fax: 610-313-1848

NEWZware™ is a product of ICANON Inc. - Visit our web site at
http://www.icanon.com/ for more information on ICANON, the company, and its
suite of products and services.