RE: Quad comedy & Schrade in VT

From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Too old for Quad? If so, too old for everything

>>> After all, they were a little old to be taking that
>>>particular show on the road, and they needed some humor to make it fly.

>>Do you still stand behind this?

>Yes, I'm talking about Quad, and I'll stand behind the statement. ;)

Ok, let's step outside! :-)

>Still, they were fiftish year old men
>acting out parts written for teens.  The element of parody was planned, and

>it arms them for any critics who want to point this out.

Perhaps, but don't you think Rog could have pulled off sarcasm as well, if
this was the intent?
How does having a non-TED sing, make it any less a production of The Who,
and thus arm them against critics?  Couldn't a majority of their songs be
seen in this same way?
I would hope that TED don't pander to critics in this way.
The inclusion of GG, and the manner in which he sang, is the only thing that
provided humor.  But, were you laughing at the parody, or at GG himself?  I
was shaking my head, and thinking "get this idiot off the stage".  I felt
like Rog was thinking the same thing.
Billy Idol, on the other hand, was a realistic/believable character that
added a Broadway (as you mentioned) type of feel.  It worked, but still
wasn't *needed* to make this production "fly".

>TED are smart guys, and humor is something that runs through TOMMY as well.

>If anybody complains about the music or the story or the performace, then
>all they have to say is "Well, it's all a joke anyhow."

I'd never dismiss the use of humor by The Who.  It's one of the aspects I
really like about The Who.  Rock is supposed to be fun! Playing in a band is
supposed to be fun!  The Who has always been about having fun!
BUT, Quad is a serious look into the psyche of youth.  Until this
production, rather inclusion of GG, I didn't see anything funny about Quad.
I still don't.  It's deadly serious.

>In a way it is, or
>course, but then in another way, they're dead serious about it.

Awww shit, we're saying the same thing.
So you're saying they were making fun of past dress styles and behavior?
If so it's not needed, and detracts from the seriousness of the work.

>I rather thought the other characters were entertaining.

Agreed, but I would always rather see Rog sing than some overweight goof.