How does your obsession play in the non-Who world. (Digest V7 #281)

RE:
>>> Question for the group:
>>> How does your obsession play in the non-Who world?

>>> Jeff

Well, it varies depending on how long the other party has known me.
Those who have known me the longest, have learned to not bat an eyelash.
Newcomers find it puzzling to the point of concern.

My new travel agent is convinced that travelling to see shows is totally
crazy but it's very lucrative from her point of view so she's adjusted. When
I called her about changing my European vacation in November, she brightened
up right away, saying. "Oh The Who must be doing some UK shows, right?"

The boss I've had all year was a rock-music-oriented. (One of the reasons I
agreed to work for him.) He was British-born man, a former writer, and is in
his 40s. He'd liked The Who since days as a youth in London in the 60s and
70s. He's a total corporate type, but he understood how important the band
is to me and that I had a lifelong dream of seeing a 'glut' of shows if I
had the chance. So, I was honest and explained to him back in the Spring
that if The Who tour was a "Go" that I wanted to take a leave of absence or
some significant time off. This wasn't that big of a deal since I
telecommute from home as a computer consultant, anyway. He was OK with it as
long as I juggled my projects and kept the deadlines. Great, off I go.
Unfortunately the company was bought out just before the opening show, and
by the First Leg we had a new boss and new parent company.
This new man is a career military, buzz cut, take-no-prisoners type. When he
made inquiries about where I was, the answer: "She's following her favourite
rock band on a few tour dates but is in contact via laptop" was not the
phrase that pays! He thinks all rock bands are degenerates and lowlifes. So
he found the fact that anyone would go see a band in ANOTHER city to be a
sign of equally-degenerate behaviour. This attitude of his led me to make
some significant modification of my summer tour concert schedule, indeed. I
spent some serious change on Who concert tickets that weren't used.

On the other hand, my friends generally find the obsessive Who thing to be
rather amusing. When I told some friends that I was thinking of changing my
holiday plans to go to the UK instead, one friend said "Didn't you go to the
UK last year?" Before I could answer, the other friend said, "Oh but it
doesn't matter. Just like a devout Muslim making a pilgrimage to Mecca; a
true Who fanatic like SS has to go regularly return to the ancestral
homeland of her Deities and pay tribute!"

Pay tribute, indeed!
Sherridan

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html