Re: [petetownshend] Re: Who Basher??

Ever since the emergence of 'Punk' the NME in particular have given
The Who a hard time which was a complete turn about from that paper's
previous attitude to the band.I have come to expect this from the NME. (The
Who could do no wrong before).
The writers,Roy Carr,Charles Shaar Murray and one or two others were
the type of recognised,respected rock journalist that could write a very
good,objective review. I think Pete is probably right about this person
that wrote the article. I stopped reading NME many years ago,not because
of any article trashing The Who, trash away you're free to do so,but
because there's a double standard somewhere in there.
They proclaim that The Who should fade away for whatever reasons,but
can much of the music that they write about be considered all that good?
Their 'youngish' attitude means that only people or bands in their early
20's are any good ? Oh please ! The NME made a frigging living off
The Who for many a year,especially during the Daltrey and Townshend
feuding period,and Keith's looning they must have sold millions of papers
back then! They
simply could not get enough Who,often sending writers to New York or
Paris to report back with pictures and articles. As I 've said before,
to all those idiots who don't understand,What would you have The Who do ?
You want them do fade away,die,retire,whatever? What would you have
them do ? They are Musicians,they,play,create,perform,it's what they do
best. What would you have them do ? Should 'Rock Journalists' careers
be over by the time they are 30 or older ? No. So why should The Who
end their career because the NME says so. What a load of old bollocks!
The 16,000 or more inside MSG were not forced to go there,they went
there because they love the band,appreciate great music and know that
class is class and that The Who are in a class that nobody can ever
aspire to.
Regards,
Derick.