Re: quadrophenia

>Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 23:16:33 +0100
>From: "Nigel Hodgetts" <n.hodgetts@cableinet.co.uk>
>
>   Anyway before I bore you anymore I have a request in the film Quadrophenia
>there are many scenes shot in Brighton does anyone know of a web site
>listing whereabouts in Brighton these scenes were shot as a mate of mine
>wants to go down to Brighton to do some sight seeing. Any info will be
>welcome thanks in advance.

Hi Nigel,

Most of what you'll be interested in is on or near the beach.  Don't
think there's a Website listing these, but here are some random notes
from a sightseeing mission undertaken in '98:

The Grand Hotel is still there, but has had a glass-and-steel entry
added to the facade since the film was shot.  Go inside this to see
the marble steps of the entry where the Bellboy sequence was shot.

The fish-and-chips store where the chair went through the window is
at the intersection of the oceanside boulevard and Ship Street.
Don't expect to hang around inside unless you buy food, though...;-).

The "back alley" where Jim and Steph ran from the riots is a bit
hidden and hard to describe, but it's near a movie theatre which is
close to the ocean.  Walk up a small street, away from the ocean,
with the theatre on your right, and the alley will be on your left.

The locals we asked, particularly bartenders, seemed pretty
knowledgeable about sites of interest and willing to help.  if you
want to see the white cliffs up close you'll probably need a car --
at least, they were too far away for us to walk to comfortably.

layout-wise IIRC, not to scale:

Grand     fish-n-       Road to railroad                 Movie theater
Hotel      chips         station                          /alley
            shop          intersection
                                             Palace
                                             Pier
O             C             E          A              N

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
--
Alan