Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #266

I almost never write in to the list, but I had such a good time at the 9/30
Cleveland show, I had to share it.  I have been to see The Who seven times
since 1979, plus Roger's tour with Zak and Simon (although I'm sure this
pales in comparison with some of you out there) and I have NEVER heard Roger
in better voice than he was at this show!  It was a night full of treats and
surprises.  Getting to hear "Relay", "Getting in Tune", "Bargain", and "Let's
See Action" for the first time live was enough.  I could have happily plunked
down my $75 just to hear those four songs and been happy, but Pete threw in a
beautiful version of "Sheraton Gibson", which he referred to as the "only one
song I've ever written about any city, and that's Cleveland."  As most of you
know, this song is a lament written in a Pittsburgh hotel as Pete fondly
remembered his Cleveland picnic the day before with Dale Peters and Jimmy Fox
of The James Gang and their manager and wives. He apologized for not
practicing it more thoroughly, as his recent injury hindered him.  I didn't
notice.

Speaking of his injury, it was only evident in his bandaged hand.  I was
afraid there would be no windmills this night, but I was, thankfully, very
wrong.  He was not even afraid to bang on the body of his guitar with his
newly fragile hand.  In addition, I have never seen Pete in a better mood --
maybe it was the painkillers -- but he held court in between songs.  Poor
Roger couldn't really get a word in edgewise.  I can't wait to see his diary
of this show.

The energy from the stage regressed my tired 38 year old body back 20 years.
My daughter was calling me "the bunny" because I was hopping in delight all
through "Won't Get Fooled Again."  I'm trying to remember how well I liked
the two shows I saw on the Quad tour, because I remember being ecstatic at
that time also.  I still think this was the best though, because of Roger's
voice (reminiscent of "Live at Leeds", and, of course, Pete playing electric
the whole way through.  John tends to get neglected because he never has a
bad night, and this was no exception, although he did blow the third segment
of the "My Generation" solo, which I wouldn't mention except that it was
funny to see him throw up his hand to signal the goof to Roger and Pete.

Finally, kudos to Rabbit, who has finally (in my opinion) stopped being
intrusive in songs and makes a solid contribution.  After all, the
aforementioned "Getting in Tune" and "Bargain" wouldn't really work without
him (well, I guess "Bargain" would, but it sounds better with him).  And
special appreciation to Zak.  Zak is not Moonie, no matter what you may have
read (although he makes the faces) and I wish I could have seen a show with
Keith in my lifetime, but Zak has "It."  "It" is what it takes to make The
Who complete.  Kenney, bless his soul, didn't have "it", and Simon Phillips,
as good as he sounds on Pete's solo stuff, doesn't have "it".  Thank God for
good rock genes.

Finally, here's my advice.  If you have not yet seen the show, get the hell
to NYC.  There's gonna be tickets available now and you must see this show.
Throw away your Prozac, go see The Who.

-Chris Frate