Wembley review from Music365

This one slipped by me.
Available on line at:
http://www.music365.co.uk/autocontent/live_50390.htm

Live    THE WHO: London, November 15, 2000
Venue: Wembley Arena Ticket Price: £30

Review by Paul Elliott

They were rocking, rucking and waving the British flag long before Oasis, you
know

"We've had such a great time on this tour," says Pete Townshend. "And I for one
didn't expect it." The deadpan delivery is typical of Britrock's foremost
grouch. Fans laugh knowingly and cajole the big-schnozzered guitarist from the
first few rows. "You won't change me by shouting at me," Townshend smiles.

Earlier, while most were still buying the top-quality merchandise, Joe Strummer
played a spirited set with current band The Mescaleros, drawing cheers with old
Clash favourites like 'Rock The Casbah' and 'White Riot'. But there's no
disputing the main draw.

Tonight The Who are back on familiar turf (Townshend fondly recalls the girls at
a local Mecca ballroom) and really enjoying themselves. This brilliant and
hugely influential English rock group have reformed occasionally since they
first split in the early 80s, but by popular consensus they're better now than
they've ever been since original wildman drummer Keith Moon was alive.

With Ringo Starr's kid Zak Starkey battering away at the drumkit in a manner
that would have made Moon The Loon proud, The Who deliver a two-hour set of
their greatest hits. Considering the age of the three founder members -
Townshend is 55, bassist John Entwistle and singer Roger Daltrey are both 56 -
their performance is astonishingly powerful. Daltrey can still belt out 'Baba O'
Riley' like a 25 year-old.

The songs they play have had a profound influence on everyone from Oasis to
Pearl Jam to Paul Weller. Highlights include the opening one-two of 'I Can't
Explain' and 'Substitute', plus 'Pinball Wizard', 'Won't Get Fooled Again', 'Who
Are You' and 'The Real Me' (the latter featuring the most amazing bass playing
in rock history).

The famous line in 'My Generation' - "Hope I die before I get old" - has long
been an invitation to ridicule. Tonight this is pre-empted by Townshend's
ad-libbed musings on parenthood in 'The Kids Are Alright'.

All told, a triumph. If only all old rock bands had as much dignity. Rating 9
out of 10

Eyewitness Report: During the thunderous 'Won't Get Fooled Again', a man nods
off to sleep in Block 36 despite the bloke next to him yelling every word and
punching the air with every powerchord.
The name and overall content are copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm