Re: 2000 Tour CD Bootlegs

Scott:
>  Just in time for the holidays, WHO 2000 tour CD boots are popping up.
>  Here's a review of one of 'em:
>
>  THE WHO - TOUR 2000 SDBD COLLECTION
>
>  First off, the "SBDB" stands for "soundboard" even though *some* of this
>  material is definitely *not* from the soundboard.  Track listing &
comments:

>  1. I Can't Explain  (Pittsburgh)
>  2. Substitute  (Pittsburgh)
>     Good quality mono (the whole disc is in mono, it seems).  Were these
>     Pete-website MP3's?  I can't remember?

Hey that's my mp3 files I posted. (Where's my commission!)

>  3. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere  (Chicago)
>  4. The Relay (Chicago)
>     Recorded off the radio (in between songs you hear a DJ announce that
>     you're listening to The WHO on The Loop.  Mono again but decent
>     quality.  "Relay" gets a bit butchered by the band.

Luke P. posted those mp3 his dad recorded from the radio for him. It's
supposed to be in stereo.

>  5. I'm One  (Camden)
>     Audience recording?  Sounds like it.  Not too great.

Dunno. Pete's mp3 is from MSG.

>  6. The Seeker  (Holmdel)
>     Sounds like another audience recording.  A little bit better, though.

Either my mp3 or someone else.

>  7. The Kids Are Alright  (Dallas)
>     Sounds like an MP3.  Very good.  Mega-extended version.  Boy, those
>     kids sure are alright.

Pete's.

>  8. Organ Jam  (Mt. View)
>     Rabbit getting his due!  I'm embarrassed to say I can't tell what song
it'
> s taken from.  Help!

Pete's. From My Generation jam.

>  9. Bass Solo  (Mt. View)
>     Kinda disappointing cause it's only like the last *30 seconds* of
John's
>     bass solo.  Boooo!  Hisssss!

Pete's. From 5.15.

>  10. Anyway, Anyhow, Anyway  (San Diego)
>     More MP3-sounding stuff.  Not the best version of this song.  Kinda
short.

Pete's.

>  11. The Relay  (San Diego)
>     MP3.  I remember downloading this one!  Nice version.

Pete's

>  12. I Can't Explain  (Pittsburgh)
>  13. Substitute  (Pittsburgh)
>     These two repeats aren't even listed on the track listing.  Taken from
> the  radio (WDVE DJ intro included) these are muddier than tracks 1 & 2.
>     Confusing as to why these poorer sounding repeats were tacked on.

Again from me I suppose. I posted 2 versions I believe. One with the WDVE DJ
intro and the other without. Basically I recorded the first 2 songs from the
WDVE broadcast from the streaming realplayer format in the net they offered
and converted 'em into mp3. I cannot recall why they were mono (due to
broadcast or my stereo plugs).

>  14. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere  (Chicago)
>  15. The Relay  (Chicago)
>     Again, not listed on the CD's back cover, these are the radio versions.
>     Not too different from tracks 3 & 4 except you get a DJ intro *before*
>     AAA this time & a longer DJ "outro" after "Relay."

Luke P.'s.  The realaudio files (Chicago, Pitts) at 2000 Concert page via
www.thewho.net had the DJ intro's removed.

>  That's it.  For the collector only, I guess.  Better packaging & less
> repetition
>  of songs would've helped this CD boot.  I'll probably put a few of these
>  tunes on cassette to jam in my car but it's not a CD I'll return to time &
> time
>  again.
>
>  Final Grade: C

It's sad to see a boot containing mp3 sources taken mostly from Pete's site
and even funnier when several came from the fans. What a rip-off!

Grade: F

Mike