Hooks

>he's bound to say theyve done the gtst hits thing and now its back to
>producing some art and performing ALL new songs..

Jeremy:

Sounds good to me!

>That's the way I've always thought of it (which is why for years I
>strenuously objected to calling The Who a "pop" band), but British
>usage of "pop" still means "popular" as opposed to "classical" -- art
>or music.

Alan:

Yes, it's very American of me to define it as such. Ameri-centric, I guess.
But I still don't think of The Who as a Pop band, no matter how hard I try.
Freddie and the Dreamers were a Pop band. NSYNC is a Pop band. Type O
Negative is not. For instance.

>(there is a particularly good spot for it).  I want to use a Townshend
>lyric.  Any suggestions?  So far, the leading candidate is:

Larry:

I've always liked:

"There's a million ways to laugh/And every one's a path."

>I almost subscribe to Mark's definition.  I don't think pop music is
>necessarily bright and happy.  "Yesterday" is at the top of the RS list and
>I think it belongs at or near the top.

Jeff:

I was generalizing, but you make a good point. "Hook-ridden" might have been
a better way for me to put it.

>There once was a note, Pure and Easy, playing so free like a breath
>rippling by.

Larry:

That's what I want on my gravestone, if any. Although I can't in all honesty
say I'm as free as a breath. I try.

"Okay, let the baby have it."
             Al Gore

               Cheers                 ML