PopWhoSemantics

>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
"Pop Art is considered very much of its time and reflects some aspect or
aspects of modern culture, whereas Pop music is simply very bright and happy
music."

Alan said "British usage of "pop" still means "popular" as opposed to
"classical" -- art or music."

I almost subscribe to Mark's definition.  I don't think pop music is
necessarily bright and happy.  "Yesterday" is at the top of the RS list and
I think it belongs at or near the top.  This song is hardly bright and
happy.  It is melodic and hook-rich music that is designed to have mass
appeal.  That is it is meant to get in your head and stay there - even if
you don't want it to be there.  Example:  I have "Woody's Roundup" (from Toy
Story 2) in my head this morning and cannot shake it.  THAT is pop music.

I like Alan's definition of the difference between Brit and Yank usages of
the term.  It does explain some of the knitpicky disagreements over this.

Jeff