Iron songs; Unhappy Jack; Vote (to keep from crying); Johnsongs; The Simpsons

>I just listened to "When A Fool Says" when I downloaded from Napster,
>forgetting it was from IRON MAN, it sounded good to my surprise.

Mike:

It's one of the better ones, but...the one I like a lot PT left off, and
that's the long version of Man Machines (on the B side of the Friend Is A
Friend single). Why it wasn't included on the CD version, I'll never know.
Anyway, it has an earlier chorus of "Fools say/Love is foolproof..." which
give the album more of a themic feel.

>Happy Jack is the one I hate....

Jeremy:

I'm with you on that. Most of the time I don't like it. Once in a while it's
OK, and the Leeds version is a lot better...but The Who weren't a great Pop
band, but instead the best Rock band. Which I know means different things
here and there in the UK, but I think you know what I mean.

>I laugh everytime I read your political comments,

Shanna:

Thanks; unlike Townshend who has to "dance to keep from crying," I have to
laugh. Oh my poor misguided countrypersons!

>I think
>it's one of the most beautiful, yet uncorny love songs
>I've ever heard by anyone.

Yes. Definitely. Tangerine by Zeppelin strikes me the same way. Been there,
too. "I was her love, she was my queen/And now a thousand years between..."
Now that I think about it, it has been a long time.

>His voice is another thing that I like about it, it's
>sounds so beautiful and in a way very fragile.

Daltrey too, on Tattoo. Although I think he does it even better on Fillmore
East 1968.

>Okay, now there's no need to knock The Beatles.

Man, it seems I'm always in trouble for something!

>Pete had much more of a complex thinking/writing
>style, but The Beatles did open doors.
>Beatles opened some important doors for the Brit bands
>of the era.

Yeah, I guess they were great doormen. "I am the doorman/Koo koo a choo..."

>Wasn't he with Karen though or am I being to much of
>an idealist here?

I thought he married her in `67, but these songs sound genuine. That is to
say, they took me right back to those same feelings. Either he's a genius or
he lived it (or both).

>like.  I laughed when you said, "Have you no soul?"

I meant that one. That song really speaks to me. Makes me want to drink
white wine and watch Titanic on DVD.

>Again with the funny quotes, I'm beginning to look
>forward to reading your e-mails so I can read the next
>quote:)

No problem...he made mistakes in the past, and keeps on making them.

>And IMHO he saved Its Hard from being a waste of time.

Andrew:

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I do have to say he wrote his best songs
(IMHO) for that album. "Up here on the precipice/I'm getting close to my
nemesis..."

BTW, that was never Pete's voice on the Simpsons. Definitely Roger, probably
John, but not Pete. No way. And it wasn't a good episode, either. It was
strange to hear them saying "The Who" every few minutes, but apart from that
I was bored.

"That's a chapter, the last chapter of the 20th, 20th, the 21st century
    that most of us would rather forget. The last chapter of
        the 20th century. This is the first chapter of the 21st century."
           George W. Bush, candidate for Centurian 2000 or maybe 2001...I
forget...

               Cheers                 ML