Re: Sunrise in America

--- Mark wrote:

> No, but they aren't running for the highest office
> in the world, either. I
> don't know about you, but I'd rather my President
> didn't pronounce it
> "Nucular." I'm from the South too, and he's an
> embarrassment.
I laugh everytime I read your political comments,
especially the put downs of George Bush.  Maybe you
should consider political cartoons:)

> >I don't like "Sunrise" either!
> Scott:
>
> One of Pete's most beautiful songs. Have you no
> soul, man? I don't know,
> maybe you have to live it. Have you been fortunate
> enough to have never been
> in a relationship where you carry the torch for the
> woman? I don't know that
> it's ever been put better:
> "Each day is spent in an echoed vision of you." or
> "You appear and the
> morning looks drab in my eyes."
Ahh, even quoting to illustrate the point;)  I think
it's one of the most beautiful, yet uncorny love songs
I've ever heard by anyone.

> All of the lyrics in this song speak to me. I would
> say that with the
> possible exception of Rael, Sunrise has the most
> complex lyrics on the
> album.
His voice is another thing that I like about it, it's
sounds so beautiful and in a way very fragile.

> And name another band who, in 1967, was performing
> songs written on this
> level. Hint: it sure as Hell wasn't
> Lennon/McCartney! "I am the eggman."
Okay, now there's no need to knock The Beatles.  They
never really were much for complex lyrics.  I think
Pete had much more of a complex thinking/writing
style, but The Beatles did open doors.  Okay, let's
not start an argument about who's better.  Let me stop
it before it starts: The Who has better writing and
could very easily blow The Beatles off of the stage
with a single power chord, let's not forget that The
Beatles opened some important doors for the Brit bands
of the era.

> I would also point out that another song from this
> era but not released
> until later covers the same ground with the same
> level of perfection:
> Melancholia. Pete must have had his heart shredded
> by some woman in 1967.
Wasn't he with Karen though or am I being to much of
an idealist here?

> I laughed out loud when I read your comment. Like,
> if you don't like Sunrise
> what the Hell DO you like???
Well it was just the successive, I don't like this and
I don't like that.  Everyone's entitled to their own
tastes, but I was just curious what he actually did
like.  I laughed when you said, "Have you no soul?"

> "One of the common denominators I have found is that
> expectations rise above that which is expected."
>George W. Bush aka DrunkenFool.com
Again with the funny quotes, I'm beginning to look
forward to reading your e-mails so I can read the next
quote:)

Shanna