Bargain live riff/Husker Du-Bob Mould

Jeff:

>Subject: calling all guitarists

I too have messed with these chords and haven't quite figured it out.
You're right, it's not on whonet.  I haven't tried in a while, but I do
think that Pete is playing in the key of B.  Now that I think about it, I'm
going to go try it out when I get home; since I tried it last, I didn't know
the "slash" chord technique that Pete used to play (see Kids film - you can
see the style during "Pinball Wizard" at Woodstock when they focus on Pete)
but I do now.  It may be this kind of style that he plays the opening chords
of Bargain with - not your traditional box chord, but an underhanded style;
thumb is on the top of the neck and fingers curl under.  See what happens.

Speaking of "monster" guitar players...

I recently bought a copy of Bob Mould's "Last Dog and Pony Show" and it has
an accompanying "interview" disc.  In it, Bob mentions playing with Pete at
a show a couple of years ago - "one of my idols" I think he says (sorry only
listened once).  Anyway, that made me think of Mould's old band, Husker Du.
I don't know how many of you know of the Huskers, but after considering it
some (and recently purchasing Husker's "The Living End" - a live album) it
became my humble opinion that the Huskers are as close to the Who as any
band I know of.  The music is a jaggernaut of sound and the lyrics are
intropective, funny and socially aware.  And even more, I can tell the Pete
influence in Mould's monster guitar playing.  Anyone else make this
connection?  Thought it might be interesting.  Until next time kids...

Jim in Chicago

"You've got sloppy stage hands 'round here..." - Keith Moon
is unauthorized.