Re: Stampede

In article <38CD9668.E1D44168@hartcom.net>,
    "John B Reed " <johnr@hartcom.net>  writes:

> Which boot would you suggest I buy
> since you wrote  "all boots are not created equal"?

Well fortunately there are plenty of good boots to choose from.  The
best thing to do is to get yourself a copy of Ed Hanel's Discography
(I remember hearing that there is an updated edition in the works.),
and also use the bootleg listing on <http://www.thewho.net/>.  The
latter is mostly compiled from other fans' opinions of bootlegs and
often they point out when one bootleg is a copy (usually identical, or
nearly so) of another bootleg.  This is another crazy thing that
happens in the bootleg world -- they all steal from each other and rip
each other off in an attempt to connive a few more bucks out of you,
the fan.

What I do is this -- first I locate a source for bootlegs and see what
titles they have.  Then I go look at the bootleg listings to see what
information can be had on the titles themselves.  If there is a good
review of the bootleg from the sources I mention above, then I am
willing to take a gamble on it.  Even so, there are still times when
someone else claims a bootleg is great and I listen to it and think
"ho hum".  For instance, lots of people like the Charlton '74 show,
but when I listened to a 2CD boot of the show, I thought frankly it
was pretty sloppy.  The 30 yrs video looks good, but when you just
hear the music without the benefit of watching Pete stagger around it
sounds sloppy to me.

Some boots that are pretty popular:
- Swansea '76 (live tracks from the By Numbers reissue are from this
source, apparently)
- Fillmore East '68
- Amsterdam '69 (Tommy)

--
<http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/>	Legalize Adulthood!
    ``Ain't it funny that they all fire the pistol,