Re: Horses, Wasps, and Roger

> >>And "I Can't Explain" is just that, backwards...
> >>5-4-1-5. Which, incidentally, has been in a
> >>million songs, also...
 >This is characteristic of a lot of The Who's music,
> >and it's why people often think Roger's flat.  They
> >think they've identified the key and the usual chord
> >progression, and then it doesn't quite come up to
> >pitch.
>
>I've only heard one person say this, a friend of mine,
>but he said it rather adamantly (i.e., The Who are
>darn good but I don't listen to them much 'cause Roger
>often sounds flat).  So I could've shot back with
>"You're just not a sophisticated listener!"?   : )

Right!  It took me a while to figure out why it sounded so strange.  It
never resolves like most music does, either, resolution being the move from
the five seven chord back to one--something else that's generally disturbing
to listeners.  Pete's always been insistent that people listen to his music,
and these little sophistications arrived fairly early to ensure just that.
I do believe I recall reading that it was actually John Entwistle who first
used the 5-4-1-5 chord progression in writing music for The Who.

keets