Mass appeal & Creativity

>BTW, I don't do that. ;-)

Bjorn:

Well, I would hope NOT! You're a Whofan, fer Gawd's sake! We set the example
for the others, you know. We are the elite, they are the masses.

>Ergh... At SBE (2nd night) I shouted "Ring Of Fire". Guess what: it worked!

That's a bit different. Just don't yell: "Wheel in the sky!" on this tour,
OK?

>Outrageous analysis.

Keets:

I've seen it at several shows, but those examples were best for the point.

>Still, I have to mention that other concert goers have bad habits, too.
I'd
>swear that same couple of guys Pete was complaining about (the whistlers)
>sit behind me every time.  Either that or the gal with the piercing shriek.

I've never understood that either. Basically, reacting to a great song or
riff is real, screaming to be heard is not. My theory is that movies and TV
have made young people believe there's proper way to conduct oneself at a
show, and it has nothing to do with what's going on onstage.

>Wait'll he gets pissed about something.  It'll happen.  ;)

He doesn't seem very pissed lately, does he?

>Mmmm.  Depends on how they do it.  I'd sort of side with Jeff on this one.
>If the band came out and played the songs note for note the same every
time,
>then I'd say it's not creative.  But The Who improvise.  That's an art they
>learned from playing the Blues early on-

More than that, from having to play overdubbed stuff with three instruments.
That is one of the elements I like best about The Who, and the reason why I
think My Wife is the best song on BTTB. But to call it creative might be a
stretch. It certainly used to be. And since Jones came on the scene in 1979,
there's been a WHOLE lot less of it. And that's what I DON'T like about I'm
A Boy on BTTB.

>about them not having any new albums in twenty years.  The improvisation is
>the reason The Who are so much different and exciting as a live band than
>they are in the studio.

I'll never argue with you there.

>Of course, it would be great to have new songs, too...new albums, new rock
>operas.

Only if they're great. If they're even just good, it won't be enough. no
Face Dances or It's Hards will do at this point. The bar is set high, and
that's a good thing IMHO.

"Will the highways on the Internet become more few?"
                           George W. Bush, Presidential candidate

        Cheers                 ML