Entwistle bits...

On a related note, I just got through listening to Glen Tipton's (Judas
Preist guitarist) solo album on which John plays bass.  He kind of just
sticks to to the basic metal approach...I don't think you would pick it out
as being him unless you read the album credits... The Who and Judas priest
are both managed by Bill C.  I guess that's how they hooked up (?).... For
more interesting Entwistle sessions, check out Susanah Hoff's cover of
Bowie's 'Boys Keep Swinging'....

<< I don't know about what was first, but I think you're right about the
 influence.  This sounds like a mixture of heavy metal bass lines to me.  The
 first part of it is 70ish, and the quick part at the end more 80ish--is that
 what you're calling the galloping bass?  What Pete's doing right there at
 the end sounds very 80ish, too.  Add Kenney Jones and you're got a big part
 of the Who early 80's sound which I've thought heavily influenced the speed
 metal bands.

 BTW, has anybody watched JAE's Hot Licks video?  He does some of the
 standard 80's style heavy metal bass and gives some advice for making it
 less boring. >>

I've got it... If I remember correctly, that was back when he still had a
little bit of actual BASS in his bass tone.....