Benefit Show Review

HI All:
I don't usually do reviews for 2 reasons:  1) I am one of the most biased
WHOfans I know-these boys can't really do anything unforgivable, and 2) I
am not that good at details, other fans reviews are a much better read.
But thanks to a special spirits' kindness, I was able to attend the Robin
Hood Benefit show on Tuesday, and since I am under the impression no one
else from the list was as fortunate, I will try to share as much
information as possible.
This affair was attended by many wealthy and famous people, but I couldn't
tell you who they were besides Robin William's and Gwenyth Paltrow...I was
so psyched to be there to see the band, I could have tripped over Malcom
Forbes and not known it.  One other attendee, for you sports fans, was
none other than Hank Aaron, who handed a personalized baseball bat to a
 woman who won it by bidding $375,000.00.  A bit nauseating to think of a
 baseball bat being purchased for that much, but at least the money went to
 charity.  This charity actually seems to have their act together, I will
 definitely be contributing in the future.  For more info see
 www.robinhood.org.
 The guys began their show a few minutes past 10:00.  The set list has been
 posted, I believe, so I will only comment on outstanding moments.  The
 vocals were strong throughout, although because I was on Pete's side,  MY
 WIFE consisted more of Roger's vocals than John's.  The PA was above and
 behind where I was (about 6 bodies from the stage) so most banter was
 unintelligible.  Can't Explain and Substitute were played very straight,
 they are feeling more and more like warm up songs to me every time I hear
 them.  The 4 WHO shows (Chicago and SBE) I have attended have had
 virtually the same set, and it seems like the energy doesn't really kick
 in until My Wife.  Perhaps they are just concentrating on feeling out the
 audience, seeing what kind of reactions they are going to get from us.  We
 all are pretty much aware what happens when they get a lukewarm reception
 (i.e. Pete  on the folks in the front row at PNC Bank for Quad in '97,
 screaming "GET UP!!!!!!!" as they sat on their lazy fat asses like they
were
 watching TV or something).  My Wife yielded some really nice leads from
 Pete, very melodic, nothing too squeaky or fast.  He looked very happy
 through out the show, actually.  The only one not seeming too thrilled was
 John.  He looked a bit more bored than usual.  Pinball Wizard got a really
 loud reaction from the audience, everyone singing "How Do You Think He
 Does IT???!!" at the top of their lungs.  There were about 6 or 7 women
 down at the front near where I was, and most of them were as enthusiastic
 as the guys.  Anyway Anyhow Anywhere had the following intro from Pete:
 "This is the only song that Roger and I have written together *so far*"
 with a little maybe-I-will-maybe-I-won't smile.  Quite a few windmills on
 this one, too, with very aggressive solos, and even a knees-up leap.  Pete
 is either in love or working out like crazy; he is very thin and looks the
 healthiest I have seen in a long time.  Baba O'Riley (this set list is not
 in order, as if you couldn't tell -I am just trying to pull up details
 from my not-so-great memory) got a great response as well...This was just
 about all I heard from Rabbit all night, besides the piano on 5:15, he was
 completely buried in the mix.  I love his piano playing, but I am adverse
 to the cheezy roller-skating-rink  organ sound that he uses on TBTTB.  So
 I was kind of pleased with the sound....  Of course, the same energetic
 singing on "Don't cry..." Beautifully done lead from Pete before the
 "teenage wasteland" verse.  Right up at the front of the stage, eyes
 closed, head tilted back, completely into it.  Really nice.  (this is the
 kind of stuff that sticks in my memory)  I have gotten quite used to
 hearing Gaby Lester on violin so the harmonica doesn't do it for me
 anymore, sorry Roger.  Everyone managed to end at the same time, anyway!
 Another jump from Pete helped I am sure.  I bet his ears are still
 ringing, as he turned up about 12 times.  I can't imagine what his back
 and knees must have felt like yesterday!  I know all I did was stand there
 and wave my arms around (not much room to dance) and I was exhausted!!
 Magic Bus was a nice groove, even though I thought Simon seemed a little
 unsure of where to take it.  Everyone was watching Pete for the
 'explosion' and I think there was a bit of miscommunication there and it
 felt a bit sluggish.  It is such a great groove, though, and I am really
 looking forward to this summer's shows and lots of hot sweaty Bus.  Who Are
you was
another hilight, well received and wonderfully done, with Pete playing
 spectacularly on lead and windmilling frequently.  They even managed to
 sing the right words!  5:15 was a crack up because 2 intoxicated women
 joined the band on stage to dance.  The expressions on John and Pete were
 something to behold.  Especially John.  Usually stage invaders are removed
 quickly, but for whatever reason (are these ladies too wealthy to piss off,
 wonder) they were permitted to dance about for quite some time.  Once they
 were assisted off the stage, John did his solo.  It seemed he was a bit
 tense, I don't think he enjoyed having his space invaded.  You Better You
 Bet was a good, straightup version, nice vocals.  In one of the other
 reviews, I believe it was mentioned that Pete played this song
 differently....perhaps it was all the rum I had to drink, but I didn't see
 anything out of the ordinary.  I am guessing perhaps the other reviewer
 hadn't seen any of the more recent shows??  I don't know, and please
 forgive me if I am incorrect.  For WGFA, Pete played his most aggressive
 leads of the night, banging the shit out of the guitar (gold strat),
turning
 his amp up at least 3 or 4 times.  By the end of the song, his jacket was
 all askew and his shirt collar poking out at an angle from all the
 movement.  I sure hope some of this show shows up on the MTV tape of the
 Robin Hood Foundation, or at least a DAT from an audience member. It would
 be worth having for many of us.
 The energy of the show was consistent from AAA to the end, encores being
 TKAA and My Generation.  MG was a extended a bit, with a spectacular
 ending very similar in sound to the original studio version, if you could
 imagine that.  It had a more aggressive flavor than the one on TBTTB, no
 pauses for breath there.  The hugs given by Pete to both John and Roger
 were real hugs, not that solicitous bullshit everyone is watching type that
 sometimes happen.  All in all everyone seemed really happy (even Simon)
 and in great form.  Like I warned you all at the beginning, I am not one
 to criticize this band, so take it for what it's worth when I say it was a
 really lovely show.  I will be attending Chicago in a few weeks, and it
 has put me in a frame of mind that has me wishing the days away.  I will
 never ever get tired of this band.  If anyone had  told me as a devistated
14-year-old
sitting in my WHO wallpapered room crying because I was missing the
 3/11/76 show that I would someday be able to see them as much as I could
 afford to, I would have thought they were being crazy or cruel.  The fact
 that they are touring, healthy and seemingly happy working together
 pleases me to no end.  I have said it before and I will say it again, I
 only wish Keith were here to see how far they have come in their
 relationships with one another.
 thanks for listening
jacqueline