where's the profit?

Keets wrote:
"Napster is clearly making a profit on the file
sharing because all the traffic passes through Napster servers.  They can
charge for the service, and for that same reason they're easy to shut down
with an injunction.

Gnutella (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) is software that will handle a
specific websearch for you (regardless of target).  The search and retrieval
doesn't pass through central servers, and it's not specific to MP3 files.
Much tougher for RIAA to make their case for something so general."

That's the way I understand Gnutella.  The individual users are swapping
files directly between their computers as opposed to passing them through a
central server as on Napster. It's this handling of copyrighted material by
the central servers that make Napster (it would seem) an easy target for
legal action.
What I don't understand is how Napster makes a profit.  My kids have
downloaded n-sync and papa roach clips (sorry) and I've gotten a couple of
live phish cuts, but I haven't seen any advertising.  Where do they get
their cut?

two and a half weeks to Irvine.   Who's tailgating and where?
Cory in Calif.