Re: A short Napster

>Ever heard of any of them?
>
>It's good for a new artist in the short run, bad in the long run. I wish
>people would look beyond the moment....short-sightedness is what's wrong
>with this country!

Not yet.  It's just the first indication of their business plan--that they
intend to replace the music labels.  The best defense is always a good
offense, you know.  ;)

All MP3 has to do is sign a couple or three disgruntled major artists and
they're in business.

>Change doesn't have to be bad. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I just
>don't see one single advantage in this music give-away in the long run. I
>could be wrong, of course.

There was a time when recording in general looked to be a big music give
away.  Now we all take it for granted that that's the way to succeed in the
music business, but early on, some musicians refused to have their music
recorded because it would give away their technique.  Then radio looked to
be a big give away, too.  Now it's a disadvantage not to be on the radio (or
MTV).

Artists like John and Roger who get their major income from performance
royalties will have a harder time waiting it out than Pete, who can always
sell the music for movie soundtracks, but actually I'd say their problems
are caused by the old system.  Radio/TV and music labels haven't been
especially open to older artists now for a while, and the new system is.

keets