Taking a Napster aka eating corn dogs and sleeping in a van; I believe my own eyes

> it is nice to hear pete supporting bootlegs and not being an a**hole like
> lars ulrich of metallica
>
> word.
>
> The difference is pete wants his music to be heard not like lars
ulrich!!!!!!

Keets and the others:

I'm sorry...you guys are just way off base here. Lars isn't acting against
bootlegs, he's against working and not getting paid for it. Pete is too, as
you'd find out soon enough if it was cutting into his income. And how about
you guys? I would be happy to have an employee that doesn't want to be
paid, if that's how you feel.
Without going into a long discussion: Napster and the other such programs
mean the end of bands making it big enough to get noticed. No label will
sign, put up the cost for making a CD, and spend what it takes to get the
band known if they're not going to make a profit. Period. Bands don't have
the money, obviously, until they've made it already. Oh, sure, it's fun for
fans to get free music but it gives the band no reason to create it. And
they won't, either...who the Hell is going to go through all that shit for
years, not getting paid and eating corn dogs and sleeping in a van if
there's no payoff at all? No one. As for putting it on the Web themselves,
it's the same thing...they spend the money for nothing and who knows who
they are anyway? MP3.com settled with a $10 a month fee, but what is on
there anyone wants? Right. Exactly my point.
The best solution: make the MP3's lower than digital quality only, so
people will still buy the CDs (or whatever format comes next). Then it will
be like radio and actually help the bands. I have the solution but no hope
it will be arrived at by the guys involved.
It's easy to say that Napster is great and should be allowed, but it's also
damned short-sighted. But I have faith that the big companies, and who is
bigger than Sony and Warner, will work it out to their benefit...those with
the most money always win...just ask OJ.
On a happier note, I have seen my Houston ticket (and paid for it). So I'll
definitely be there. 4th row instead of 2nd, but you think I'm crying?

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"
                         George W. Bush, Presidential Candidate

                    Cheers                  ML