Jones Beach, NYT Review

Hi all,

Here's a link to a review of the Jones Beach show. Unfortunately, in my view, it makes way too much of a link between The Who and Led Zeppelin. And, sorry to all LZ fans out there, but how could they possibly refer to Robert Plant as rock's greatest operatic star after witnessing the incredible performance by The Who and especially Roger Daltrey? Anyway...

I was lucky enough to catch both the Boston/Tweeter Center and Jones Beach shows. They were both awesome. Very different. I found the Jones Beach crowd to be...how to say...classic rockier, on the whole. And, I really wish I'd have been sitting in the $150 seats. In my stupid section, no one but me and my friend stood up and danced! The crowd wouldn't even leave the comfort of their blankets and umbrellas to cheer. Extremely frustrating...at least no one told me to sit down. And, Roger and Pete made fun of the "crowd of managers" for looking like they were going to a "golf outing." So, the band, on the other hand were almost perfect! Every song was amazing. The jams were awesome. Pete TORE UP (literally) his guitar. John actually sang and joked around with Roger. Roger sang and looked perfect.
Highlights of Jones Beach: Drowned, with Pete on acoustic and Roger playing harmonica, Roger's harmonica solos, Roger/Pete harmony on Let's See Action, Pete smashing the guitar
BTW, I think Pete did it because 1) his guitar was giving him problems-- especially on The Real Me, 2) the crowd was really quiet and he was trying to get a reaction, 3) he likes Jones Beach, 4) he was going on vacation.
Can't wait for Madison Square Garden!
Inga