RE: We're (I'm) Home!

> > > Take care, all.
> > > - -Kevin's wife (holding down the fort) in VT
>
> > Have you been with any Engine Drivers lately "While He's Away"?
> > Joe
>
> LOL!  Classic!
> Kevin'll sooooooon beeee hooooome, soooooooon beeee hooooome......oh
> yeah......
> - - SCHRADE in Akron

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.] Nice, just when I had her fooled that you two are
respectable guys. ;-)

	Well, I made it out the other side!  Arrived back in quiet, non
crowded, no traffic, clean Vermont late last (Saturday) night.  Tired is not
the word.
	Three venues, three different viewing areas, three different groups
of friends, and more memories than I can organize at the moment.
	You've read all the reviews.   Can't remember so many positive
reviews.  It's all true.

	BOSTON:
	Quick 3hr. drive to friends in Boston for eats and drinks, and then
off to Twinkie Center.  We arrived at about 4:30 and immediately raised The
Jack.  Tail gating was very cool.  Lots of drinking and what-not all about.
A good rowdy crowd.
	ALWAYS BRING PLASTIC CUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
	Stu immediately pointed out all the youth about.  You could tell
this wasn't going to be like Quad with mostly older hard-core fans.  This
was a show for all ages.  All ages were represented strongly.
	At about 6:00, Derick found us (good 'ol Union Jack).  After some
initial intros., we all hung for a bit chatting, drinking beers, and getting
ourselves pumped for the show.  Derick pointed out where his "camp" was, and
then after solidifying arrangements to meet later, was off.
	Soon after, we were visited by Keets and Phill the "mostly lurker"
;-).  By that time, we Lawn seat folk were feeling the pressure to get in
and stake a claim.  So we all walked to the doors together where we all ran
into Derick, and Majik, and Bjorn, and I was too F-d up to remember whom
else!!
	It was quite a fun little gathering.  We chatted, watched Majik
hyperventilate ;-D , and marveled at how much money Bjorn must have had to
save!!

	Life on the Lawn:
	Once on the lawn the anticipation began to explode.  Just moments
left. Our last beers almost empty, the air still thick and sweet around us
from a quick final tune, and it was time to take a journey. When the lights
finally went down, people sprang to their feet and stayed there all night.
A truly packed house.
	I loved being in a standing room crowd with all sorts of souls in
love with The Who all around us.  There was a serious community feel and
unity "out in the fields".   The energy was immediately overwhelming.  This
was like a glimpse into the past, watching the energy and viciousness of The
Who.
	I was armed with binoculars (didn't frisk/search in Boston, BTW),
which were fun, but caused me to miss Pete's sizzor kick!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAARRRGGG!!
	I know there were (and you've read about) some technical glitches,
but for me it didn't detract from the show one bit.  There was too much
brilliance coming from that stage for anything to detract.
	Yes, NE was a bit slow (first words I said when they began), but
still was great.  SM,FM was butchered a bit, but is well within reach for
future presentation.
	There were several times (My Wife, Magic Bus, and another) where I
literally was in shock and forgot where I was when the music stopped.  I
looked around only able to mutter "WOW" and saw the same look of
bewilderment on everyone else.  *THAT* is why I love The Who, and go to
shows.
	I'll never forget those moments.  I'm comfortable enough in my
dork-ness to admit I had tears during one.

	After The Fire, the fire still burned!!:
	 After the show, we again hooked up with Derick and Majik at our
camp with The Jack again flying.  We drank and chatted for a good spell.  At
one point, we were approached by a group of teens who looked like they were
"into" Hip hop.  They needed a light and felt safe enough to have their own
woodstock reunion there by my friends Jeep.  While they were burning, Majic
approached them and began to preach the way of The Who (I think he may have
also had alternative motives ;-).  The young ears were all in attention.
One asked who the "phat" bassist was, and Majic dutifully set the record
straight.
	In my book there is no doubt The Who has already reached the newest
generation.

	Before we knew it, it was 12:30am.  With a drive back to VT facing
us, we hit the road.
	Arrived back at 5:30am due to heavy fog in the White Mountains of NH
(Arrrrgghhhh!).

	NISSAN:
	Didn't arrive in DC until late the next day due to our delayed
departure as dictated by the need for some sleep.
	The morning of the show was spent sleeping as well.  By 3:00 we were
Bar-b-Qing with old neighborhood friends.  These are the heads responsible
for turning me onto The Who (among other things ;-).
	We partied until about 6:30, and then all crammed into a Mini-van
for the show.  God bless my buddy Stu's fiancée for doing all the driving.
	Once in the lot, we didn't waste time getting a warning from lot
security for drinking; and we were being very cool and discreet.
	FORGOT THE DAMN PLASTIC CUPS!!!!!!!!!
	Why do I always have this sort of experience at DC shows???  Oh
well, it was off to the seats!
	Ran into Derick at the doors looking for Majic and others.
	Time was very short, so we had to run.

	I hated our seats. The view was great, but we were right behind "VIP
Box Seats".  These were little squares with tables and waiters, etc.
	These people sat during the show and were more concerned with
getting the last little piece of crappy chicken off the bone than watching
the show!!!
	While still into the music, it wasn't the same experience as being
"in the fields" of Boston.  It just wasn't right.  The crowd at Nissan was
sparser as well.  This show became an opportunity for analysis.

	The performance was one of the best I have ever heard, let alone
seen, ever.  They were tight.  Flawless (well, 5:15 was never flawless on
all three shows).  They were energetic.  As in Boston, Pete was cheery.
JOHN WAS SMILING AND LAUGHING!!!  It was a sight.
	My friends couldn't believe it either.  John is now doing a chord
progression near the end of his solo that really pumps the energy and
excitement.
	Pete's nose is bothering him.  Cold or allergies I presume.
	Roger jabbed at Pete regarding his soloing.  After John's solo, Pete
stated to the crowd that John doesn't have a whammy bar, Roger shouted
"thank god!".  Pete wasn't happy with that.  I was thinking that there may
be some anger left over from the Boston "flub up's".
	Spotted Bjorn again, dancing in the first 10 rows or so.  Lucky
Bastard!
	Pete pulled of a full back scratcher (picture from Washington Post
Article), but shouldn't do it again.  He almost didn't bring his feet back
down fast enough, and almost fell!

Bargain...................Wow....................Gulp.......................
..Wow.

	No post show partying (well, in the lot).  Had some friends who had
to go to work.  Stu and I carried the torch though!

	CAMDEN !!!! :
	Another late sleep in, and a quick visit with The Rentals, and it
was off for a day of boating with some College roomies on The Bay and then
late night reminiscing.
	Yes it's good to have good friends in high places.......;.......or
is that high friends in good places??;-)
	Stu had to work. :-(

	The next morning, after an authentic sausage gravy over biscuit
breakfast on a dock side restaurant on the eastern shore of The Bay, I
picked up Stu and headed to Camden.

	We were charged up and ready for action!!!!!  After messing around
in Philly, and sitting in traffic (a common theme in the Mid-Atlantic) we
got into the parking lot at about 5:00pm.  We just missed getting into the
main lot.
	I LOVE PHILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!
	People, this is what a Rock Concert is supposed to be like.  Again,
people of all ages.  Young, old, you name it.  There was drinking (FUCK THE
PLASTIC CUPS HERE!!!), open smoking, and can you say Nitrous!!!!!!!!!! I'll
get into that in a moment.
	We again raised the Jack!!
	After about an hour or so of chatting with our neighbors and the
small (but growing) crowd of folk who loved that we were playing Sell Out on
our radio, I left Stu holding down the fort to look for
listers.....specifically Joe Lewinsky and George Ligouri.
	I never found George, but did follow the kite to Joe's hang out.  If
anyone knows of a kite technician, Joe could use one !!!  ;-)
	Again, great people having allot of fun!  Thanks for the Yingling
beer Joe!
	With time always of short supply, I returned to home base.
	Things changed.
	IT SOUNDED LIKE WE WERE STANDING UNDER SKI GUNS.  WE HAD TO TALK
LIKE THIS AT TIMES.  IT WAS VERY LOUD!!!
	Our lot was invaded by the NITROUS NINJAS!!!!!!!!!!
	People, I swear I have never seen anything like this.  Tanks of
Nitrous blowing up balloon after balloon.  People were flocking from rows
around us.  Girls, guys, young, old, were all walking around "fishing"
wildly in the wide open, with multiple balloons in hand for future brain
cell killing adventure!!!!  It truly was odd, and in a way kind of sad.  I
saw nice looking young gils doing face plants into the gravel.  I saw mid
aged guys leaning up against my truck unable to move.
	When we learned that our Union Jack Flag was the rallying cry in the
lot for Nitrous, Stu and I packed it in.  We didn't want anyone thinking we
had anything to do with this spectacle.  It really was something to see.
Kind of like Dawn of the Dead or something.

	THE SHOW:
	We got in the Pit at about 8:10.  Center stage were two guitars.
One was an SG.  Could tonight be the night??????  8:30, and the SG is still
there!!!!   Then,....it's gone.  Belonged to Unamerican.
	The crowd was rowdy and loud.  There was tension in the air.  I felt
it, Stu felt it.  We saw Bjorn again, this time in like row 3...BASTARD!!
:-)
	The crowd really seemed restless.
	When the boys came out, the place exploded!
	After ICE, you could tell Pete was in a mood.  While he was very
pleasant and cheery in Boston and DC, here he was in one of the most surly
(for lack of better words) moods I've ever seen him.  His nose was running,
and he even taunted the crowd to understand the pissy mood he was in.  He
kept throwing used snot tissues on the floor.  Wonder who's job it is to
pick those up???
	The performance was again very technically tight, but this time had
the anger and tension that old day who shows have had.  I was jumping up and
down the whole night.  I was soaked.  Both Stu and I being over 6ft. were
able to get Rogers attention frequently and show him we were there energy
inspiration.  Now and then when things would quiet down, Rog would check out
our section to see how things were going.  We did what we could to help.  I
was full of energy and showed it.  Going nuts is a good description.
	Pete took his frustrations out on his guitar.  He hammered the
thing.  He machine gunned us.  He sneered and spit.
	At one point near the end Pete finally blew.  A fan (10 seats over
and 5 rows up) had been yelling at Pete all night....."I'm a boy, I'm a
boy".  Pete finally replied..."Fuck Off!!"   The fan (asshole) must of
yelled back "fuck you", because Pete (now looking very pissed) shot
back..."NO FUCK YOU!!!!!!!"
	Then the fan said something that I couldn't catch, but Pete about
fell over trying to get the mike off it's stand so he could throw it at the
guy.  Pete about had a fit!!!!!  He ended up throwing the whole thing at
him.......kind of.  After getting the mike stand back on stage, Pete held
out the mike for the guy to speak.  He didn't.  Pete yelled at him.."I can
see you're a boy!!!".   At this point an amused Roger chimed in "looks more
like a little girl to me".
	It was a true Philly moment.  A surly crowd, and a surly Pete.  Raw
Who.

	Despite being caught trying to sneak in a disposable camera (Full
frisking and searches at Philly), the guard let me take it in.  I've got a
full roll of 7th row photos.  YESSSSSSS!

	The party raged on after the show.  We were stepping over the
nitrous victims to get back to my Jeep.  Very strange.

	It was great meeting everyone!  Truly some good folk on this list.
Keets, Derick, Joe, Majic, Phill, sorry the time always seemed short.
	My only disappointment, and it's small, is with the non-changing set
list.  My cheers go out to you folk who witness the return of NE, or the
dawn of Pure n Easy and Getting in Tune.

	 - - SCHRADE in Akron
> P.S.*Your* post was much more entertaining than all that crap Kevin spews!
> :-)

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.]  DOH!  Wish I had read that before waxing on so
long above!!!!! :-)

	Stay in Tune,
	Looking to coordinate a work travel conference with a show onthe
second leg.
	Kevin in VT.