YBYB & DVDs

> I couldn't tell you when Bolan died, but if it was 51 weeks before
Keith's
> death in '78, your theory doesn't hold as the song was written in the
late
> '60s.

Dan:

This is the first I've heard of it being a 60's song, but I'll allow that
it might be. However, the demo wasn't made in the 60's. From the sound of
it I'd guess no earlier than `78.

> Recently saw "the Wall" on DVD - and I also noted how similar they were
> - - then logged on here to see the same discussion! : )

Kathy:

You aren't the only one who got the recently released Wall & Tommy on DVD,
after all!

> bit) sound a bit like they came from "we're not gonna take it" - the
> Who's live versions especially - does anyone else hear the similarities?

Definitely. Again, both violent endings and a rejection of what is
"standing."

> Both The Wall and Tommy end with the main character looking inside
> himself -- At least Tommy finds a sort of salvation

I might be a minority of one, but I felt (from the album, not the movie)
that the end of Tommy has his followers making him deaf dumb and blind in
fact, not psychologically. But he does find that his salvation is within. I
DO believe salvation can be found within, however Tommy was almost as
screwed up a fellow as Pink...he was happier in his interior world, so his
return is like coming home.
As for The Wall...I know of only one person who claims to have understood
the story before the movie was made, and I don't believe him. I certainly
didn't...some of it, of course, but not all of it as shown on the film.

> What strikes me as ironic about Little Billy is how much Pete and John
> smoke....

Phil:

More than that, the anti-drug commercials Pete made while a coke user.

> Maybe it's supposed to be liek when you play the Wall during the Wizard
of
> Oz and all those eire thigns fall into place.

Brian:

Very, very good one.

> referring to how men act macho and invulnerable around women (especially
when
> they don't know them well and are trying to impress them

Kyle:

It's not like we WANT to do that...they force us, they do...

       Cheers                  ML